dual-booting

Guest Peacimowen

Guest Peacimowen

Alright. I want to dual-boot to Windows 2000

I already have Mandrake (10.0 official) installed on hda

hdb is a fat32 drive that already contains data. This is where I want to install Windows.

From a couple hours googling, I haven't found a whole lot on how to do this. Almost everything assumes you installed Windows first and you're installing both on different partitions of the same drive.

So.. could someone explain to me what I'd have to do?

I'd love to just experiment.. but I don't want to risk losing the data on either drive.

Thanks a lot!

Try this..

1. boot linux

2. uninstall lilo. Open a terminal window and type

lilo -U

3. Shutdown

4. Unhook your linux drive.

5. Startup and boot your Win2k or Winxp CD (may have to go to BIOS and set CD to come first)

6. Very carefully, select the partition you want to install on. You can use Mandrake's DiskDrak utility to create this ahead of time if you like.

7. Install into the partition.

8. Make sure its up and running. Don't spend alot of effort afterwards customizing until you know this is going to work.

9. Now shutdown and rehook your 1st hard drive.

10. Boot off of the Mandrake CD1, hit F1, type rescue, and reinstall lilo.

11. Reboot into linux.

12. Now you need to edit your /ect/lilo.conf file to add your windows partition entry. I"m not at a linux box right now so you will have to google or search the board for some examples (or someone else can provide one?)

13. Rerun the lilo program. Check for errors. Do not reboot until all errors are resolved.

14. Reboot and see if windows can be selected and booted.

Hopefully that will work :) There are other ways to go about it I'm sure..

Hopefully that will work smile.gif There are other ways to go about it I'm sure..

There sure are, except window$ is not that friendly at all towards linux installations. In fact i am pretty sure it will corrupt your current setup as it will recreate the partition table ignoring the existing linux entries, ie pushing linux to the back and give new numbers to existing linux partitions. So unless you have backed up all your data and are prepared to reiinstall linux, i would go for the solution offered.

Guest Peacimowen
10. Boot off of the Mandrake CD1, hit F1, type rescue, and reinstall lilo.

Umm.. right. I might mention that I did a network install. My CD burner hasn't worked very well for a while, and so when I upgraded from 9.1 to 10, I couldn't burn the CDs, so I used a pair of floppies instead.

Will rescue work off the boot floppy?

EDIT: Never mind. I just checked that in the easiest way possible. rebooted with that floppy and tried rescue. it works! yippee!

Edited by Peacimowen

Guest Peacimowen
12. Now you need to edit your /ect/lilo.conf file to add your windows partition entry. I"m not at a linux box right now so you will have to google or search the board for some examples (or someone else can provide one?)

For reference by anyone else attempting to do this who views this thread, the lilo.conf entry I added that works is this:

other=/dev/hdb1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hdb

boot-as=0x80

Guest Peacimowen
Win2K Pro requires an Active Primary Partition (fat32 or ntfs) on hda. Does not need to be big. However, do keep in mind that 2000 will mess up cluster info for linux. 2000 will also take over the MBR.

It does _not_ need anything on hda. If you install win2k on hdb while hda is out of the computer, everything it needs is on hdb. This is why you need the "boot-as = 0x80" in lilo.conf. From what I understand, it makes it the effective primary master.