How start Fluxbox?

hea

if it doesn't exists, just create it !

Create $/.xinitrc

and write this line :  exec fluxbox

Now the default desktop is averriding by this one.

that'll work if you're starting from the console. if you're logging in from a graphical interface, kdm or gdm, it takes a slight bit more work...although i don't remember how to do it, hehehe

If you end up settling on fluxbox and autologin, use xdm. Not buggy, a lot lighter, and much faster.

BTW, I don't have exec in my ~.xinitrc, just fluxbox.

.xinitrc

#!/bin/bash

#======ENV=======#

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/

export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1

#======FONT======#

export LC=C

export LC_ALL=C

QT_XFT=true

GDK_USE_XFT=1

#======START PROGRAMS=======#

(sleep 8; gkrellm -w) &

(sleep 2; play ~/sounds/Select.wav & exit) &

#=======SESSION=======#

(sleep 7; gnome-settings-daemon) &

#(sleep 5; /usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 15) &

#(sleep 2; gnome-theme-properties) &

#(sleep 7; rox -l=MyPanel) &

enable_X11_numlock &

#=======START NET=======#

(sleep 4; /home/ppp/7853) &

(sleep 13; aterm -T Mutt-1.4i -bg black -fg orange +sb -cr red -pr red -bw 0 -tr -g 85x51+0+0 -e mutt) &

#=======Screen=======#

(sleep 10; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

~/setbkgrd.sh

#start a WM

fluxbox

#/usr/bin/startkde

#/usr/bin/startgnome

/etc/X11/wmsession.d

NAME=FluxBox

ICON=fluxbox.png

EXEC=/usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox

DESC=A Light and nice looking window manager

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox

BTW, I don't have exec in my ~.xinitrc, just fluxbox.
from a resources point of view is better to use 'exec' than calling fluxbox directly, because with exec you'll substitute the current shell (the session you started in .xinitrc - #!/bin/bash -) with fluxbox (or whatever wm). Otherwise you'll have a bash session running in the background waiting the end signal from fluxbox to exit itself.

so it's a bit more correct to launch the wm with 'exec'. Do you remember the club-nihil's discussion about fluxbox and .xinitrc? If I don't remember bad there we discussed why was wrong the 'exec fluxbox' in DOlson's fluxbox's init scripts and why was a good idea to use it in a .xinitrc file :)

Actually, I forgot about you posting this

$ help exec

exec: exec [-cl] [-a name] file [redirection ...] 

Exec FILE, replacing this shell with the specified program. 

If FILE is not specified, the redirections take effect in this 

shell. If the first argument is `-l', then place a dash in the 

zeroth arg passed to FILE, as login does. If the `-c' option 

is supplied, FILE is executed with a null environment. The `-a' 

option means to make set argv[0] of the executed process to NAME. 

If the file cannot be executed and the shell is not interactive, 

then the shell exits, unless the shell option `execfail' is set.

...what ever that means! 

...mmm, better thought, maybe is a good idea. From the resources point of view it's not a bad idea since the command called with exec will replace the sell invoked by the script. So there is no need to keep opened the shell that started the window manager until the X session finishes.

here

[EDIT] THIS LINK IS DEAD

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.php?t=3820Thanks for the reminder!

you disagreed with DOlson?! I hope you were wearing Kevlar.
:lol: Actually, we were all just learning :wink:

you disagreed with DOlson?! I hope you were wearing Kevlar. :lol:

:lol: he is a very good guy, even he never got banned from my part when I was a mod in the old board (except one or two PMs). He is a bit impulsive, but that's all :)

bvc, I knew you'll appreciate my post :D

you disagreed with DOlson?! I hope you were wearing Kevlar. :lol:

:lol: he is a very good guy, even he never got banned from my part when I was a mod in the old board (except one or two PMs). He is a bit impulsive, but that's all :)

bvc, I knew you'll appreciate my post :D

To visit with him in person and to sup with him is to know him...I can attest that he is much more interesting in person than over the electronic communication devices...

Guest joehill

sorry for leading us offtopic, here's a ? to get us back.

bvc, I noticed in your .xinitrc that you use a "sleep" function. Would that help with a situation where I wanted some dockapps to load in a particular order? The problem is slitlist won't work, as it is the same dockapp being loaded several times, like so:

xscreensaver &

wmCalClock &

wmsmixer -w &

#wmShutdown &

wmcpuload &

wmmemload &

wmnetload &

bbbutton ~/twilight48.xpm "twilight-nq" &

bbbutton ~/bones.xpm "nq-glx" &

bbbutton ~/ut.xpm "quake3 +set fs_game q3ut2" &

bbbutton ~/icon.xpm "quake2" &

bbbutton ~/quake3.xpm "quake3" &

bbbutton ~/WolfSP.xpm "wolfsp" &

bbbutton ~/browser.xpm "/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla -P testmail&" &

bbbutton ~/mozilla.xpm "/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla -P test -mail&" &

#bbbutton ~/browser.xpm "/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla -P test&"

xset m 50/10 4 &

xset +fp $HOME/.fonts &

#~/fluxbox/src/fluxbox

exec fluxbox

#exec blackbox

lovin' this thread,

:D

Hmm...sorry, I don't know. I run gkrellm and fluxter and I just tried reversing the order of them in my ~/.fluxbox/slitlist, which is where my ~/fluxbox/init points to for a slitlist and it worked. So I added a sleep time to fluxter (ran from the init file) and it made no diff, so I renamed the slitlist in both ~/.fluxbox and /usr/share/fluxbox, and it still didn't make a diff.

Are you sure you have a slitlist where your ~/.fluxbox/init says to look? Sorry...had to ask :wink:

bvc, I noticed in your .xinitrc that you use a "sleep" function. Would that help with a situation where I wanted some dockapps to load in a particular order?
I don't know either because I only use gkrellm. But about sleeping a bit before launching the apps, you might want to check this faq for the reason of using that old trick: comp.windows.x: Getting more performance out of X. FAQ; just a little quote:
    When you start up an X server it takes a huge amount of time to start accepting connections.  A lot of initialization is done by the server when it starts.  This process touches a large number of pages.  Any other process running at the same time would fight the server for use of the CPU, and more importantly, memory.  If you put a sleep in there, you give the Server a chance to get itself sorted out before the clients start up.

Similarly, there is also a lot of initialization whenever an X client program starts: toolkits registering widgets, resources being fetched, programs initializing state and "databases" and so forth.  All this activity is typically memory intensive.  Once this initialization is done ("The process has reached a steady state"), the memory usage typically settles down to using only a few pages. By using sleeps to stagger the launching of your clients in your .Xinitrc , you avoid them fighting each other for your workstation's limited resources

• 1 month later...
Guest thunorsman

I am attempting to get fluxbox runing on Drake 9, but I seem to be having a few problems. I searched the forum and found this thread, which gave me some help but I can still use some assistance. I created a new file in /etc/X11/wmsession.d for fluxbox. However, I am uncertain as to how the EXEC= portion of this file should be configured. I do not have the file startfluxbox in /usr/X11R6/bin/, and I am not sure where Fluxbox installed the file. Most of the fluxbox files were installed in /usr/local/bin/fluxbox. Is startfluxbox a file that I need to create? If somebody could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.