Wireless firewall / router / gateway

Guest Bearzerker40

Guest Bearzerker40

:?:

Hi all

this is a cry from the wilderness... literally...

it seems that more and more remote areas throughout the world are getting broadband now Via wireless networks or WISP's...

We here up in Tumbler Ridge BC just got our Orinoco 802.11b equipment installed and it works great, finally we have broadband internet access, but the problem is security... I was using the mandrake single network firewall for a long time and it was great, really liked the squid and other features, just tried the Multi network firewall and it was even better... we've tried to utilize the wireless into our mandrake system but there has been nothing but trouble trying to get the orinoco drivers to work with the SNF & MNF and even the full version Mandrake 9.0

I like the idea of using my old 200Mhz system as a firewall/gateway/router as it's a reaaly good concept, but we need the mandrake security firewall to address this security issue... so...

this is an SOS to all out there... HELP

I haven't got an Orinoco based wireless card but I do have a CISCO wireless PC card. I have got it to work under Mandrake, but it si mainly a manual process. As MCC wizard makes a mess of configuring the files.

What problems do you actually get ?

• 1 month later...
Guest smsirag

I'm not very familiar with the software firewall products, but I have an 802.11b home network, protected by a D-link hardware NAT firewall that is very effective, simply because all my computers have private IP addresses. (My wireless ISP access is microwave) They cost about $75, but I think it's worth it for easy security.

I have a linksys wireless bridge that bridges the connection seamlessly.

The linksys is on a private network 192.168.218.96 ... which I can't see.

My firewall has my public IP 202.27.218.96

This way I didn't have to fight with drivers and crap like that.

The Linux boxes just use normal old ethernet, that plugs into my bridge.

It works Great!!!!