Installation confusion: help me out here?

Guest kari ann

Guest kari ann

I've heard the installation of Mandrake is easy, never would have guessed I'd be stuck on the first thing.

I'm using grub for the installation by the way. (cd burner was a retard to me)

Alright simply put I don't understand this root (hda0,0) stuff. I know that it is the partiton thingie, but I don't know what exactly I have. How do you tell?

The location of my mandrake distribution files.. Right I have the .iso files in

C:\resource\mandrake

so does that mean that I write :

kernel /C:\resource\mandrake/isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=128000 root=/dev/ram3 acpi=ht vga=788 automatic=method:disk,partition=(hda0,0),directory=/C:\resource\mandrake

initrd /C:\resource\mandrake/isolinux/alt0/all.rdz

??

It gives me numerous errors when I tryed all this. I'm pretty sure though that I just have the root part wrong. If not than what am I suppose to type?

I've read about these but it didn't exactly tell me anything that I could use. Just told me to replace /cooker/ with the location of my mandrake dist files. It also never offered much help with finding out my partiton thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by kari ann

Grub cannot look into the iso images or so, it is not going to work like this...

You cannot install from cdrom? (Or burn an image?)

Can you somehow unpack (don't know what tools exist for that in windows) the first cd and read the README?

There is a /images directory, this one contains floppy (*.img) and cd (boot.iso if memory serves) images to use to start the installation process.

BTW You can find the same information on the ftp servers if you can't look into the cd images.

Guest kari ann

I have them unzipped all into different folders. I just didn't know if it wanted the Iso file, or the unzipped iso file lol. Okay but should all the cd's of the iso be put into just one folder without including the files that have the same name?

And no I cannot. I don't think the cds I own aren't meant for burning iso's onto/or burning images to. Just gives me a useless error.

Edited by kari ann

I have them unzipped all into different folders. I just didn't know if it wanted the Iso file, or the unzipped iso file lol. Okay but should all the cd's of the iso be put into just one folder without including the files that have the same name?

And no I cannot. I don't think the cds I own are meant for burning iso's onto/or burning images to. Just gives me a useless error.

I would guess you are doing the burning wrong in the burning , it really is the easiest way! you need to select them as an image using whatever burning prog you are using and it should be fine but you might have a corrupt download ?

The Cd's are usually quite easy to get form magazine covers.(and this is a very cheap way) So check out your local news stands and see what you can get ....

you could also ask around any 'geeks' you know who might be able to burn the CD...

if not we will do our best to help but the bootable Cd is by far the easiest way to install.

Guest kari ann

Is it really that much of an issue to install it with a floppy? I've tried ISO Recorder Power Toy, Ultimate Nero 6 (which I bought). I went to Cd image recorder, and it just gives me an error. Maybe its because my cd's only go up to 700MB and the .iso files exeed those by atleast 9-11mb..

If you got Nero this should work. (size is ok)

Insert a blank CD into your CD burner

Start Nero Burning ROM

Close the Wizard dialouge box that appears at startup

Select "File", and then "Burn Image"

Change directory to the location of your downloaded ISO image, and then select the ISO file (should be something like slackware-10.0-disc1.iso)

Click "OK"

Ensure that the "Simulate" box is unchecked.

Click "Write"

Just to check, its the BURN IMAGE ..part that's important here and it must be the virgin unzipped iso...

if you can't boot from CD then the floppy image can be used to boot however even then you need the iso image somewhere. but I honestly believe you are maing your introduction harder than it need be if you try installing from a windows partition... not to mentioni if the partitions are confusing (and I can see why) you always stand the chance of ruining something?

Guest kari ann

Yeah I know (but the burn image thing is actually in Recorder>>burn image)

It takes atleast an hour to 30 mins to get this error, and at about 55% of burning I get: "Burn process failed at 24x (3,600 KB/s)" Anyway yeah I gave up after getting it atleast a hundred times with different write speeds.

Sometimes the CD's are incompatible with the burner speed.

I have some 12x-48x CD's but they won't burn in my laptop which is 8x max!

In linux it tells me why... I don't know about nero (it seems pretty good) but I presume their might be a message somewhere.

Where abouts are you? Perhaps someone will send you at least 1CD to get started?

or you can try the cheap CD stuff......

if you feel confident then we can go ahead, Im sure we will get it going eventually but it might not be your best intro to Mandrake and linux....

Guest kari ann

:unsure: Well if I manage to screw everything up I'm pretty sure getting windows xp back on my pc would be pretty easy I have a restoral disk. Unless theres a way of making the pc unable to boot the restoral disk to xp..

I was more worried about your files and data ...

What Im trying to say is that what you want is going to take some hacking about and a poor experience ... and perhaps you being without your PC/internet if something goes wrong....

trying online support for someone with a long process inbetween when no internet is available is a recipee for things going wrong...

that is we can probably find the instructions etc. and write it all out but if we miss one tiny part you can't get back to us unless you have a spare PC sitting about....

options are a live CD like knoppix... but you need to burn it...

Im just a bit worried if you can't burn the iso (either becuase its bad or your Cd speed etc. or just lack of knowledge that we are setting out down a slippery slope.....) when cheapisos.com or someone can ship em within the US for $5....

or you can find a magazine coverdisk.....

I am more concerned you haveing a good experience than anything and getting stuck half way, reinstalling XP to get the internet to find we just made a typo will give most people a bad impression.....

You can do it many other ways but its an advanced topic....

One way is simply stick them on a PC with a web server and use the boot floppy ... bring up the network and point it at the server...

however the process is not friendly compared to the CD which mandrake spend time making as friendly as possible for noobies!

Even for me, I would persist writing the CD first.... just as a comfort factor for having it there to retry if somethiong unexpected happens!!!

however lets see if anyone else here has bright ideas!

Ok, if you cannot burn the cd iso images, can you at least burn the boot.iso in the images dir of the first cd iso?

That one is very small (you mention you had issues with burning at much further burn progress).

Try a cdrw disc.

With that you should be able to boot, choose the directory with the iso images and do the installation.

Or you can use the floppy image for installation from local harddrive and at the question indicate the partition and dir location of the files/iso images.

Hello kari ann.

What you have been strongly advised to do is get a manufactured set of CDROMs to install Mandrake. No insult intended but at this stage of your knowledge about not being able to understand correctly burning an iso, and trying to do something you know very little about, you are only making a rod for your own back. None of this has anything to do really with installing a new Mandrake yet it is likely to colour your impressions of Mandrake unfairly and that would be a shame.

Sure you will learn even while persisting on your present path, but that is very hard on the patient and helpful people here at MUB who try to help resolve problems. You do need to do a little reading up of at least learn some basics so you know what the heck we are all talking about.

So you can enjoy your first experiences of Mandrake, get you yourself a set of CDs from magazines or Linux suppliers (they are dirt cheap), as Gowater and others have suggested. They suggested this path for very good reasons born out of a heck of a lot of experience.

If you have difficulty finding a source of the Mandrake CDROM sets, then if you want I can post you a 4 cdrom set of Mandrake10-OE. Just click on the tab at the lower left of this reply called PM and you can send me an E-Mail with your address and I can post it to you via airmail.

Welcome to MUB and we hope you stick with us.

Cheers. John

Guest kari ann

Awe that is soo nice of you John to do that for someone you don't really know.. Thanks all of you for the efforts, I think I am just going to wait and see about getting it from a store near here.