MNF DHCP does not work

Guest ndee

Hi everyone,

just set up the new MNF 82 and whooo - dhcp does not work at all. I configured everything in the webinterface but the dhcpd.conf does not get written at all.

Am I the only one with that problem and did some nonsense? Cannot be... And with 3 NICS I was also testing DNAT, which does not work on that box at all. Even though I used the same rules, which I used to use on the ordinary Mandrake 9 box as firewall, which - with shorewall - works damn good - except there is not that nice interface. I doubt, the naat scripts are 100% done.

Thanks for any help

Andy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I also got into major problems with MNF :?

First the IE problem with cookies, I had to install Mozilla just for the WebMin since IE failed to work. Second, as soon as I logged into the Webmin and changed time on the firewall (to current date), the admin password stopped functioning :evil: The DHCP did not work for me as well. I searched this forum for a while, but desided to dump MNF until larger user base is established for MNF and some fixes are done. Sadly back to ClarkConnect.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Andy,

I had a similar problem. When looking at the system log, the webadmin seems not to write the correct IP range: 192.168.0.10.0.10 -192.168.0.100.0.100.

After a few tries (....) the solutions was that webadmin only processes the last byte of the IP ranges. When I entered the range 10 100 without 192.168.0 before them, it worked and DHCP started correctly.

Not very clear in the help or the screen, but that is more a general problem that I encountered with MNF and SNF.

• 1 year later...
I also got into major problems with MNF  :?

First the IE problem with cookies, I had to install Mozilla just for the WebMin since IE failed to work.

Hmm. I've run into a similar cookie problem. Immediately after configuring MNF, I tried to use the web admin tool to re-configure it, and all attempts at user authentication failed. I received a "Session not found : Cookies not found" error message.

Fwiw, this happened both in IE 5.5 on a Win98 client, and on the same Konqueror session that was used only minutes earlier to configure the firewall. This is not an IE-specific problem. Were you able to work around it with Netscape?

• 4 weeks later...

Iv'e been using mnf for about a year and a half it is sweet software. BUT when ever i have enabled dhcp for the lan. it works BUt if the firewall for some reason has been restarted or shut down and turned back on the dhcp fails and doesn't boot up properly.. has any one else had this same problem also ?

J'

i have been beating on my MNF box for three weeks now and I still can't get it to work. i've run into every problem that's been discussed here, and then some.

instead of using MNF, i took the easy way out and just bought a cheap router/firewall appliance, with the intent of throwing it away once I got MNF up and running... three weeks later, and I'm still using the appliance because i can't MNF to work as advertised. even when MNF states that all of the services have successfully initialized at bootup, many of the services just aren't available. indeed, when shutting down the system, MNF reports failures to shut down daemons that it had said were started successfully at bootup.

if ANYONE here has had success in getting MNF to work with Verizon DSL, please speak up. i'd love to hear from just ONE person who's gotten it to work as expected. my experience with MNF so far is that its a very buggy system that's not ready for prime time. fwiw, 9.2/FiveStar has been much easier to work with.

• 3 months later...
Guest sean_dunlop

1) DHCP

The solution is as detailed by another user - dont prefix the DHCP scope with the network class. Its a simple DHCP provided for the LAN side of MNF and MNF knows from NIC setup what the network and class is.

Strangely I found this to be consistent with the MNF manual :-)

RTFM

2) IE

I have configured MNF with the latest IE and have had no such problems (IE security settings perhaps)

Guest sean_dunlop

1) DHCP

The solution is as detailed by another user - dont prefix the DHCP scope with the network class. Its a simple DHCP provided for the LAN side of MNF and MNF knows from NIC setup what the network and class is.

Strangely I found this to be consistent with the MNF manual :-)

RTFM

2) IE

I have configured MNF with the latest IE and have had no such problems (IE security settings perhaps)

3) Services

Im not 100% here but I think that MNF management is post boot, perhaps the OS starts a service then MNF stops it. Then the OS tries to stop it on shutdown and its already off?

Just a thought

I have noticed a few services failing to stop that I know are not required by my MNF configuration. Not started or stopped post boot time.

i have been beating on my MNF box for three weeks now and I still can't get it to work. i've run into every problem that's been discussed here, and then some.

instead of using MNF, i took the easy way out and just bought a cheap router/firewall appliance, with the intent of throwing it away once I got MNF up and running... three weeks later, and I'm still using the appliance because i can't MNF to work as advertised. even when MNF states that all of the services have successfully initialized at bootup, many of the services just aren't available. indeed, when shutting down the system, MNF reports failures to shut down daemons that it had said were started successfully at bootup.

if ANYONE here has had success in getting MNF to work with Verizon DSL, please speak up. i'd love to hear from just ONE person who's gotten it to work as expected. my experience with MNF so far is that its a very buggy system that's not ready for prime time. fwiw, 9.2/FiveStar has been much easier to work with.

I dunno if ya tried it but the SME server from ww.contribs.org might be what your lookin for.

Im not sure i 100% like it (as a server) but if you wanna replace a appliance its ideal. My groans with it are more restrictions in expanding it way beyond the original are TOO much work but usihg it as intended it just sits and works (and its FREE)

Im using the new 6.1...

Think of it as a appliance box with built in web server and email.

• 1 month later...