10.1PPC Boot Problems [SOLVED]

mousematt

Greetings

I have just installed 10.1PPC on my G3 Indigo iBook. I removed the Debian

Sarge install from the machine and ran the Mandrakelinux 10.1 installer.

The installer proceeded smooth until I was advised during bootloader

configuration to run the following at the OpenFirmware prompt:

setenv boot-device /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/dik@0:2,\\:tbxi

I did this after MDKL 10.1 did not load in the second stage. I have rebooted

and entered this command directly, it still does not work. I get the

following error:

gunzipping (0x00010000 <- 0x00806c4c:0x0093bd4a)

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: 00805af0 %SRR1: 00003030

My iBook then hangs and the machine is useless. What do I need to do to make

this work? I tried booting Disc 1 in rescue mode and repairing the

bootloader. It seems unable to talk to Yaboot - only LILO.

I am not a Linux newbie but PPC hardware does scare me a little.

Thankyou. Please help me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Some Guy

What was your solution to this?

I can't figure out what part of the release notes you are referring to, and your post to the mailing list has no replies showing in the list archive.

Guest Floatingtrem

wtf?

i just tried installing this on my graphite SE withe EXACT same result, the link you posted were release notes for the install we used, so its less than an update, and you mentioned somthing about a 9.1 mailer? this is 10.1!

EDIT

sorry, i am have been a bit frustrated trying to get linux installed and working, i am just installing after a hectic KDE instal in YDL 3.0, so this time i'm going with gnome

somone else linked me to the same place it seems the answer is there, just not very specificially, you need to specify your kernel, its that simple :lol:

Edited by Floatingtrem

Yes. The 10.1 installer defaults to a 68k kernel which does not load with the G3/G4 PPC CPUs.

All you need to do is manually change it. I have posted the text from the release notes which indicate the changes below.

New world macs

After a successful install, the system should boot into linux after waiting on 2 yaboot prompts. The first prompt allows choosing between linux and MacOS. Type "l" for linux to bypass the menu's waiting time. The second menu gives a choice between installed linux kernels. The default kernel should be used when hitting enter or after the sleep time passed. If that doesn't work, hit the tab key and then type the label of the kernel, which should look like

2681-122

Guest Some Guy
I have posted the text from the release notes which indicate the changes below.

That was it. I missed that part of the release notes no matter how many times I went through them. Thank-you for making it obvious.

Guest kainjow

WOW! I have been spending several hours tonight trying to find a way to fix this!!! And then I came across this site, and it was one of the first threads I came across! Using the 2681-122 kernel/boot thingy was all I needed to do! Such a simple thing! :wall: Using the default was giving me invalid memory errors and returning me back to the Open Firmware. I'm so happy! Thank you so much! What a relief...hm not to get the console to boot me into a GUI. :unsure:

Guest prodi_g

I have been going through the same exact scenario, except that even manually changing the kernel does not help. After I do this on the second stage boot, it just stallsl and my monitor freaks out. Any suggestions??? The other interesting thing is that I could not install 10.1 from a GUI. I had to use "install-text video=ofonly" to run a text-based installation. Anyone knows what's up? Thanks in advance.

Guest ideopathic

I experienced the same issues with G4 450 (AGP) and the 10.1 downloads from two nights ago. During the installation process from CD, I had full keyboard access, and the ability to use my mouse. The reselection of the kernel resolved this issue as stated above. Is there a way to have it select a different kernel by default?

Another issue arose when booting into into Mandrake Linux, the keyboard fails in it's tests, and the mouse has no functionality. I am new to KDE, so I'm not sure, if I can access the mouse driver installation from there, or if I need to reinstall. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Edited by ideopathic