Cannot find pre-installed driver 4 tablet [solved]

4ebees

Hi,

I have Man 10 Official (standard, nothing strange).

I have a Dolphin Graphic tablet and pen.

USB Tablet Series Version 1.04

Manufacturer: AIPTEK International Inc.

Speed: 1.5Mb/s (low)

USB Version: 1.10

Device Class: 00(>ifc )

Device Subclass: 00

Device Protocol: 00

Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8

Number of Configurations: 1

Vendor Id: 08ca

Product Id: 0010

Revision Number: 1.03

According to my reading, it is supposed to be a clone of the Hyperpen 8000U OR 12000U (originally thought it was a 600U)

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=745

The pen, when plugged in can be seen by Mandrake 10 Official (as above).

Everything works, pressure, buttons on pen (there are no buttons on the tablet) etc... except:

By scribing an area roughly an inch down and two across, the cursor covers the whole screen. The tablet it obviously much bigger - 150mm across by 115mm down.

Now, I've tried a number of suggestions I've found on-line - the latest being:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=aiptek

(It's a little long and didn't want to paste it in)

I've changed the baud rate in the suggestion to a slower speed and found that it makes no difference.

X starts (I've crashed it that frequently that I can now replace the XF86Config-4 file in my sleep) okay with the changes suggested on the site above - but nothing is changed.

I suspect (!) that the pen is NOT even reading what I've put in (pardon my expression, but I don't really know WHAT should be reading the configuring I've been doing :))

So... I'm now back to square one. I haven't buggered it up, I still have my original XF86Config-4 file and I still have my Mandrake box going and, barely, my self respect.

Something, somewhere in this machine is connecting and running the tablet, but WHAT? I think if I can find THAT, I can reconfigure it to work better... but... where?

Any and all suggestions most gratefully appreciated.

16/12/04

One of the people in my local user group is working on this. He thinks he's got some solutions, so when he finishes, I'll post them for anyone else who had experienced related difficulties.

Edited by 4ebees

• 2 months later...

Well, I have to say that unfortunately the solution that has worked is not the one I was hoping for.

Changing the mouse speed made the tablet work better. Unfortunately, changing to Fedora Core 3 and altering the mouse speed meant that the tablet worked perfectly. Whilst I am happy that I can get my tablet working in 'a' linux distro, I'm sad that I couldn't get it working in Mandrake :(

Wacom tablets, so I'm told, work very well in Mandrake 10.1 without any re-configuring. Unfortunately the one I've been trialling has to go home and I can't justify buying a new graphic tablet when this one works in FC3.

The failure of my graphic tablet to work in Linux was the one thing inhibiting my exclusive move to Linux. Now it's resolved, but now how I had hoped it would be.

As someone who is new to Linux, I would like to say thanks to people who have helped me with other Mandrake issues. I have appreciated the help and support enormously and it has certainly made the move far easier than would otherwise have been the case.