10.1 hd install

Guest bi0logic

Guest bi0logic

i am having problems installing mandarake 10.1 o my hd

right after i select my language the computer freezes (the mouse icon changes to a watch but thats all)

i dled all three cds and extracted them to a 5gb fat 32 partition (installation only)

at first the boot floppy didnt work until i edited it, i deleted the word cooker from the path names this fixed the problems at first

then it gose through the preparation i dont know if this means any thing but i left the

iso directory feild blank

as soon as i enter the install screen and select my language the computer freezes and i have to restart

i had problems with linux on my system before live cds dont work, distro dosnt start after insallation,

is my problem hardware related or am i doing some thing wrong

please help

:help:

hardware :

amd 2200+

asus a7n8x delux mb

ati 9600XT

120hd

dvd drive

786 mb ram

hi there. :)

1.) the ati-graphic-card is one of the troublemakers. we have many ati-radeon topics on this board.. just use the search tool and you will find lots of help.

2.) you cannot install linux to a fat32 partition. you need to format the partition to e.g. ext2, ext3 or (preferrably) reiserfs once you get to the partitioning-selection. a usual setup for linux is: one partition (~2-5gb) in e.g. ext3 for /root, one swap partition (double ram size) and one /home partition (e.g. ext3)

3.) i hope you burned some image-cds with the iso-files you downloaded.

edit:

just got an idea. try this: when you boot with the mandrake-cds, hit F1 or esc or enter or whatever it takes to get to the install prompt (don't remember). then type 'linux noapic nolapic'. maybe it helps.

Edited by arctic