ProFTPD Questions

Urza9814

Ok...here's my question. I have set up ProFTPD through webmin, and I am wondering if there is a way to have one user have access to a single folder in another users' /home. Like, could I have user guest have access to /home/urza9814/Documents/School or something, but not have access to anything else in /home/urza9814?

Edited by Urza9814

Yes, it's possible. I'm not real familiar with the terminal setup of proftpd, but if you Install gproftpd (GUI) it's quite easy. The way I have mine set up, - two buddies overseas have access. The first can only upload and download from /home/kevin/duke/damond, but the second can access /home/kevin/duke and everything down the tree from there.

Never tried messing with Proftpd thru Webmin, so I'll be no help there.

Edited by kmc77

I got gproftpd...I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to do though...I want to give them access to two separate folders...their home and a folder in my home...yea...I re-read my post...shoulda made that more clear...

Question 2:

Is there any way to give a specific user different permissions? Like, I want root to have overwrite permission, but no one else. Still doing this via webmin...that other prog confused me...

Hi Urza,

I've been trying to learn ProFTP too, for about 4 weeks now, with limited success.

I kinda understand what you're trying to do, but have you turned your ftp 'user' into a mandrake 'user' ?

I think this is the trick here.

I configured proftp with 3 users, ftp-anon, arthur and root.

each has their own distinct permissions from mandrake.

ie arthur (thats me!) can see some files in certain dirs and have normal permissions in ftp as I do in mandrake.

root has unfettered access and ftp-anon is limited (but this is the account I'm having troubles with).

So (I'm not sure how to set permissions) make sure you create a 'user' and give him permissions to certain files/dirs, then create the same 'user' in proftp and I rekon you will come close to your objective, I didn't really think about it when I configured proftp with webmin, it just happened this way for me.