new samba printing problem [SOLVED]

polemicz

After a month of trekking in Nepal I came home and started my computer! I dutifully went through the Mandrake updates (and Debian for my Sarge system) and have found that I cannot print to my Win2000 system.

I am running Mdk 10.0 and the Win box is 2000 SP4. I am aware of the various Samba problems with 3.0.6 (which I am running: 3.0.6-4.1.100mdk), however, I can 1) ping my Win2000 box, 2) via smb4k etc see my Win2000 shares (including printer), 3) via smbclient print to my Win2000 box. What I cannot do is get Cups to print to that system. When MCC or KDE Configure your Desktop>Peripherals>Printers etc try to scan my system they do not see the Win2000 box or its printer.

I have run into this mess a few times in the past, post Mdk 9.0. I have never had a problem where a working system has stopped working. :wall:

For what it's worth Win2000 can't seem to see Linux, but that doesn't matter to me as long as I can see Win2000. No changes in smb.conf and as I said I can print from smbclient. Cups seems to be the culprit, but how to fix it? The systems (there are two others) are connect via a Linksys router/switch. No Linux or Win firewall (use router's).

Thanks.

Yes I have configured via Cups. This problem is now a bit more confusing as the order systems are booted up affects things.

1. If I boot up Win2000 Pro before Linux Win2000 will not see my Linux system

2. Resetting my router and startring Linux first I can see the Linux system in the neighborhood network, but not access (Path not Found error)

3. I can ping the Linux system from Win2000

4. Via smbclient I can see my windows shares and print

5. When I set up the printer from Cups and go to print a test page I get the old NT_Status_Access_Denied routine.

6. I am running samba 3.0.6-4.1.100mdk, but as I have said I can see Win from Linux.

7. My os level for Linux is 20 and I have security =user (default ) set.

8. Because of the weirdness with booting orders can the problem lie in my router (linksys befsr41 v.2?

9. There is no Windows firewall and no Linux firewall, I rely on the router's firewall.

I've googled a bunch on this to no avail.

Thanks

I'm just throwing a couple of ideas at you, I've no idea if they'll help:

Have you added the windows machine to your /etc/hosts, and the linux machine to the hosts file in windows?

What path are you using in cups? It should be something like:

smb://username:pass@workgroup/host/printer

Another alternative could be the following:

1) on the Win2000 machine, install Print Services for Unix (Control Panel->

Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components, select

Other Network File and Printer sharing, click Details and select the check

box near Print Services for Unix

This will enable for every shared printer a lpd-like service (I'm not sure

if the "TCP/IP for printing" service must also be started from "Services")

2) on the Linux machine, define a new remote lpd printer. The CUPS new

printer wizard will ask for a name (this must be the name you gave to the

printer share on Win2000) and a location (this must be the name of the

Win2000 PC on the network). The resulting location reported by CUPS

should be something like:

lpd://PCName/PrintShareName

If you have trouble in resolving network names (CUPS reports Host or

Share not found when you try to continue with the wizard), you can also

specify the IP address instead of the PC name

This worked well for me, in a situation very similar to that you described

Carlo

fwiw, i had the exact same problem with SuSE 9.1 not being able to print to a W2K Pro SP4 printer share via Samba. SuSE could use Samba to find the windows PC and successfully found all of its shares (except the printer). Windows could see the SuSE box for a while, but eventually something "broke" and no matter how I tried it couldn't see the SuSE box at all.

I tried using CUPS on the linux box, and every other trick imaginable. I just couldn't get YaST to successfully install the printer. I didn't even realize that W2k contained a Print Services for Unix service. D'Oh! how i wish i had know that...

I finally got fed up to the point that I took SuSE off of my system and repartitioned the drive. For the heck of it, I reinstalled SuSE and all of my problems magically disappeared. I had to have really borked-up one of the components on the SuSE box. I never did figure out what it was, but a reinstall on top of the existing system didn't help. Only wiping the drive and starting over did the trick. I bet you didn't want to hear that -- it sounds like a Windows story. :screwy: