Mdk10.1 Official freezes during installation

RND

I just received mdk10.1 official in the post today. However when I try to install it from the cd, it freezes. I then remembered that mdk10 did the same so I tried passing linux noapic nolapic after pressing F1 on the install menu. But this time around it had no effect and install still froze.

I have a 16gb s-ata HD as primary and a 40gb IDE drive as secondary (this has mdk10 already installed). I also have a DFI LanParty nforce2 Ultra motherboard.

Been searching google for the past hour with little result.

when I try to install it from the cd, it freezes

at which point exactly? also: do you try to install it on the sata or the ide drive? if it is the sata drive, read the sata-drive installation topics we have in this board. there are some problems with sata (i don`t use one :)) but they can be fixed. just use our search tool.

if nothing works (=you really don't get anything solved), post more precise information here.

good luck :thumbs:

Edited by arctic

It freezes just after you press enter on the install menu, a whole load of boot text scrolls past then i get:

<0> kernel panic: attempting to kill init!

Ive not gotten to the stage yet where you chose where to install mdk. I normally install it onto the IDE drive though.

Hit f1 at the first boot splash (where you have the choice between f1 for options and enter to install).

Then type:

alt1

followed by enter.

This will start the system with a 2.4 kernel instead of the default 2.6 kernel.

Furthermore the same options apply:

alt1 noapic nolapic acpi=off

(etc)

kernels can be installed later, but in case the 2.4 kernel works well on your box, keep it. i have installed kernel 2.4.27 on my mandrakebox later, cause kernel 2.6 has an inbuilt router error (programmers forgot to fix something important :P)..

Edited by arctic

doh!...

have you tried if other linux-versions run well with the motherboard? (e.g. try live-cds) there are so many linux-distros out there, i can hardly believe that no linux-distro is able to use your motherboard.