Mandrake ISO files? [SOLVED]

ITLogic()

Hello, I have downloaded the 3 CD .ISO files for Mandrake 10.0. I was having problems and have done some research here to help me out why.

I downloaded the 3 ISO's to my Win XP box and used WinRAR to extract the ISO's. After, using the Win XP File Explorer, I copied the extracted files to 3 CD's.

Evidently, from reading many posts, this is where I went wrong. I was not supposed to extract the ISO's, I was supposed to burn the ISO's to CD's as image files. Do I understand that correctly?

This is not something XP can do supposedly. I need Nero or some other burning software that can do such a thing. I found a link to a free Windows XP burner that someone had used with success, but I have not yet had a chace to try it so I am writing this post to make sure I understand.

I am confused as to what an image file is. What does the burning software do to the ISO to burn it to the CD and make it bootable? I'm hoping someone can give me a brief explaination, or point me to some information that can help me understand. Sorry for the ignorance, but this is my first venture into the world of Linux. Before now, I thought WinZIP was all you needed.

Evidently, from reading many posts, this is where I went wrong. I was not supposed to extract the ISO's, I was supposed to burn the ISO's to CD's as image files. Do I understand that correctly?

You are correct here.

This is not something XP can do supposedly. I need Nero or some other burning software that can do such a thing. I found a link to a free Windows XP burner that someone had used with success, but I have not yet had a chace to try it so I am writing this post to make sure I understand.

I would reccomend downloading a program called Alcohol 120%. The download is a 30 day trial, but it is the full version. The reason I reccomend this one is that it supports overburning. In my experience, the Mandrake ISOs appear as more than 700M in size when viewed in windows.

WOW! You guys are fast!!!!

Ok, so I have the file "Mandrakelinux10officialCD1.iso", or whatever the name is, that I downloaded. Now, I simply burn an image of that? I thought an .iso was an image file? How will that make the CD bootable? Sorry I'm a block, but I'm just having a hard time understanding this process.

Ok, so I have the file "Mandrakelinux10officialCD1.iso", or whatever the name is, that I downloaded. Now, I simply burn an image of that? I thought an .iso was an image file? How will that make the CD bootable? Sorry I'm a block, but I'm just having a hard time understanding this process.

Its made Bootable ... do not pay any attention .. just burn it and then put it in the CD room and thats all.

FreeEagle

Just do it. Stick the .iso file in Nero and tell it to burn the image. It will. Then reboot with the CD in the drive and Mandrake will appear. It's magic :D

A .iso file is an image. Telling Nero to "burn image" is telling it to burn that image onto the CD.

Ok Fellas! I did it and after doing it, I understand how it works. I guess there is no better way to learn then by trial. Sorry for being a putZ! But, I do have another problem. During the first stage of the install, after the initial scree, it said detecting USB Devices. After that message goes away, I'm left looking at a black screen with the blue bar at the to saying Mandrakelinux 10.0. After a minuite my computer reboots.

-The checksum of the download was good, so its not a bad file.

-I burned it twice and the same on both, so it's probably not a bad disk.

-I have no USB devices thatr might cause a problem.

-I tried vgalo and text install and still reboot

Anyway, I should go post this in the installation forum and try to find some answers there. Thanks a bunch to you all!

I'll mark the thread solved - Artificial Intelligence

By the way welcome on the board :)