Weird 10.1 official install [SOLVED]

SpikeyKlitske

Today i installed mdk 10.1 official and got some weird issues. For instance i was expecting to have KDE 3.3 but the splash screen shows KDE versien 3.2. Also the nvidia driver did not load properly, ie the same issues exist as with 10.0 official.

FYI, i downloaded the iso's using my (standard) clubmembership and burned all 4 to CD's using KB3. The summary show's the install package i have, ie it list all 4 CD's and shows CD 4 to hold KDE 3.3.

The default install of the video drivers cause X to fail on boot , ie the command prompt is shown rather than the desktop being loaded.

Did i miss something or is it just me having these issues?

Meanwhile, i have seen various posts on installing KDE 3.3. It all sounds a little flaky to me and I understood this version is not yet mattured enough reason why it is not yet included in the official package.

I resolved the nvidia driver issue using the information I gathered with previous releases, ie use drakeconf from the command prompt to set the display driver back to vesa, install the kernel-source files, copy the pm.h header file i got earlier through this board, run the nvidia driver downloaded earlier (still the latest driver pack btw), edit the modprobe.preload file to insert nvidia, and modified the xorg.conf file to change the reference to libglx.a to libglx.so.1.0.6111.

Also the issue with xmms remained, ie I had to remove the word 'soundwrapper' from the xmms menu command line as before..

Another issue i found was being unable to upgrade gaim to the latest 1.0.2 version that is avialable, therefor i had to remove the gaim package that came with 10.1 install gaim 1.0.2 and manualy inserted a menu item for it in menudrake.

Finally and this is a definitely noob question :cheesy: how do i copy the mail I had before in my .Mail folder to its new location. I tried to copy the .Mail folder in its entirity. This seemed to work fine, ie i could see the mails listed but once i click on them the message is empty and the entry blanks out ie points to unkown. Could u please point me in the right direction? thx

Edited by SpikeyKlitske

I have never had any success in copying the .Mail folder while in account. I have only been able to do it in while in root. I think it is a permissions problem.

Try root and see if it works for you too.

Cheers. John

Thanks for the reply AussieJohn, and fyi, i already tried to do that. I agree with you that it might be a permissions issue. My account is not root, whereas the disc i burned showed owner to be root. Also i noticed that there were permission differences compared to the cd and the new .Mail folder in my home directory but im not sure thats because of the cd-rom nature.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Hi

I have copied across my kmail mail folders from KDE 3.1 to the KDE 3.2.2 Kmail 1.7? that came with Mandrake 10.1 CE. I didn't copy the .Mail folder, I just picked out the folders and emails within .Mail that I wanted and made sure the permissions and owner matched those for the user using (chmod and chown commands). For example I didn't want to keep all of my old inbox, so I copied it and called it old_inbox and then in kmail drag n dropped the one or two emails from old_inbox I wanted to keep to the new inbox, then deleted my old_inbox. Ditto for other folders, like sent.

Rich

KDE 3.3 isnt installed by default.  Its best to manually choose the apps to install then you should be able to choose to install kde 3.3.

Roger that, there are already other threads explaining in detail how to install kde3.3 At this point for me there seems to be to many issues with it, so i am going to wait a little. thanks for the input all. subject closed as far as i am concerned