speedtouch in 10.1 official

derxen

I was wondering if anyone had tried the new speedtouch rpm of 10.1 official. Does it work now with the 330? I set up mine with the speedtch.conf (see this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=16970&hl= ) and it works, but I might consider doing it the mandrake way, if that way actually leads somewhere.

derxen

I'd be inclined to leave it alone if it's working. The rpm certainly used to work for older alcatel speedtouch models but AFAIK you'll still have to get the Microde from Thompson / Alcatel and copy it to wherever it has to go. (I'm using Debian at the moment so my memory is a bit sketchy).

The kernel-space driver for the older Alcatel usb speedtouch is now part of the kernel tree so I'm not sure if the rpm does anything useful if you've got a later 2.4 or newer 2.6 kernel.

It's good to know that you searched for a solution found it and applied it yourself and got your stuff working successfully. Congratulations! It'll give others confidence too.

What suprises me is that it is so easy with the speedtch.conf script, yet mandrake is taking so long to get it to work. But maybe that is because of the different models. And yes, I'ld rather leave it alone now that it works, unless I am sure that mandrake's rpm really does the job. I've spent many, many hours trying to get it to work, under 9.1, 9.2 and 10.1. I've succeeded every time, but it was no fun.

derxen

This technology is changing rapidly and there are now a number of variations on ADSl even within europe there are also a greater number of ADSL routers gateways modems wireless routers etc and forever. I imagine that Mandrake have a hard time prioritizing.

Even so:

I find it a bit strange that you've had so much bother with Mandrake. Perhaps something has changed significantly? Or it might be a hardware specific issue.

I remember we had a hell of a time getting people connected with Thompsons first purple speedtouch when they first took over Alcatel. Largely the damn thing seemed to make it's own decisions.

It's been fairly easy for me since 8.1 (USB speedtouch known as the frog - unloved by everyone!)

I used to have a howto on the previous mandrake users site. Or maybe the one before that. <G> I'm old....

It was involved but not actually all that difficult. You had to create a number of config files yourself and save them in appropriate directories. A lot of it was just copy and paste - I wonder if it would still work........ should do I would think.

I wonder where it is? There were a number of other steps too, download install some rpm, download extract something and save it to such and such directory.

Tedious but not difficult.

It did however work for a number of people when all else failed. There was a guy in the states who worked out all the real technical stuff but I'm damned if I can remember his handle. I just did some pppOa stuff and UK specific settings.

Got to go train to catch. Have fun on the internet. :banana: