All logins refused??

Guest newkirk

Guest newkirk

First off: The server in question has been wiped and reinstalled as of 5 minute ago - this is NOT a time-sensitive situation anymore.

Now then.

This was a clean MDK10.0 install, destined to be a new DNS/Radius server. The system was installed, then (via SSH) I configured and installed all our needed services. (I'm ~650 miles from the server)

Then, after a reboot, it would refuse ANY logins, even local console, immediately upon entering username! It never reached the password prompt, just came back "invalid user password" I believe.

Huh? What must I have screwed up to cause this??

Thanks for pointers. As mentioned first, the problem has been erased with a reinstall, but I want to know WHY it happened in order to avoid it in the future, or be able to recover easily if it recurs.

:wall:

j

Heya,

different possibilities I think. You should look at the /etc/pam.d-directory first. There are some scripts that control the login=procces. With access.conf you can specify who can login and from where.

I don't know if this is tcp_wrapper-config. Don't think so. You should have a look in /etc/security. Certain servers (all?) make use of tcp_wrapper. It's guided by a config file in which you can specify stuff like which user can access which servicefrom where , ....

Also do a search on agetty. I think it controls who can login to console I think ...

'Maybe some of the stuff I saif above is th saem ... I'm no expert in this myself ...

Ofcourse you also have the ssh-config-files like you probably know where you can specify whioch users can login ...

Maybe using webmain (if you don't use it already) can make it easier ? Or just to check the settings of stuff ... I don't know how experienced you are ...

greetz,

Michel

Edited by Michel