System Hangs - IBM Thinkpad T42

Guest psitham

Guest psitham

Hey,

I have a problem with my laptop which I'm not able to figure out at all !!! Recently installed Mandrake verison 10.0 on my IBM Thinkpad T42 centrino 1.6 Ghz, 40 MB HDD, 32 MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500. Initially had a lot of problems with the screeching sound during bootup, managed to solve it - thanks to forums. Secondly, had problems with Power Management wherein my Laptop went into suspend mode and did not wake up at all and after shutdown it would'nt turn off automatically and so I had to press the power button to power it down !!! Added the following to lilo.conf : acpi = on apm = off noapic nolapic - once again thanks to the forums it seems to work but I'm not sure if this is the only option, does anyone have any other suggestion in this regard for Power Management ..... and

Now, I have a problem wherein everytime I use Mozilla and open stuff in new tabs or listen to songs using streaming audio the system just hangs and I'm having to hard reset it atleast once a day because of this. I tried removing all versions of Mozilla that I had and installed FireFox yes'day and it seemed to work but it hanged again today and is getting me all worked up !!!! coz I don't think it is a problem with Mozilla !!! I've also tried running CPU tests, Memory tests and Hard drive tests to confirm that there is no hardware problem. Could it be something with the Kernel ? Should have I installed it with some specific options, coz I pretty much went with the default ones ?? I've encountered this problem mostly while using it with mozilla but it could have occurred during other times as well, mite have skipped my memory.

Does anyone know what I can do about this ? Any help in this regard would be definitely appreciated ! Thanks a lot for the patience, since it's a rather huge post !!!

Regards,

~psitham

hi there and welcome aboard :)

maybe the problem is your graphic card. i do know that ati-radeon cards are a bit problematic with mandrake. we have several topics with ati-radeon cards on this board, maybe you should use the search tool once more. it could be that you find the solution in one of oour threads.

the other idea that comes to my mind is ram. how many mb ram does your system have? did you create a swap partition when you installed your operating-system? in case that you have used the "auto" option at the partitioning-stage of installation, go to the mandrake-control-center, go to "system", "partitions" and take a look at the settings. if you do not see a green-colored swap partition, the problem yould be that you run out of memory when using mozilla (i guess you are using it in a kde or gnome environment).

try also the following in order to find out if it is maybe a bug in your main desktop environment. at the login-prompt, log into another desktop, like icewm and start mozilla with the downstream-stuff you made. if the problem is gone, it might be a kde/gnome-specific problem.

also try to run your comp for a long time without using downstream-stuff. if it doesn't freeze, the problem is 99% due to network/downstream-hang-up. but i am not sure how to fix a downstream-"bug".

good luck. :thumbs:

Edited by arctic

Guest psitham

Hello arctic,

Thanks I will try the stuff that u suggested and let u know the status. Also I found that while installing Linux I did not enable the acpi option and was using apm untl now and once I recompiled the kernel with acpi it seems to be holding on well for the moment, so it could actually have been a case where it was freezing up due to the power management stuff but u never know. Anyways will try ur suggestions and get back soon.

Have a nice day.

~psitham