mdk 10 new install

ChrisM

Hi all

I've just installed mdk10 on 2 PCs on the home network. 1 works fine. My second however is not good.

I can only get about 5/10 minutes service, before I notice the mouse cursor disappears, and the entire system freezes before my very eyes. It's not in standby/suspend mode - I don't lose the graphics but I can't do anything, I lose total functionality - and mouse movements/key combinations (such as enter or alt+fkeys) fail to resume functionality. The only way out is through doing a reboot. :wall:

Any suggestions on what the problem might be, or what settings to double check?

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

which graphic card does the comp have? sounds like one of the typical ati/nvidia problems. if this is the case: use the search tool and read some topics on this porblem. if nothing works, tell us about your problems.

Thanks arctic for pointing me in the right direction.

The first thing I have done is go inot MCC to find out what graphics card I have - you are absolutely right, it's an ATI - ATI Mach64 Utah to be precise.

On both PCs I did a standard install and ran with the default settings, this was not a problem with machine 1 , and I did not think it would be for machine 2. So, after your reply to suggest the possible nature of the problem, as a first step, in MCC> hardware, I chose to run the config tool on this card.

I've now been running for about 50 minutes without any loss of functionality - fingers and toes crossed.

I have another box with exatly the same hardware set up as this one to be installed with mdk10, so I'll be aware of any graphics card config issues during it's install.

:thanks:

Edited by ChrisM

Pants!

Got approx 1 1/2 hours of use before the darn thing froze me out again. So, need to search out those issues related to ATI card. This fix-it job's one for the w/e - need to get some serious work done in the meantime.

Back to the box running 9.2

Could be a hardware problem (heat or flaky ram). Check your BIOS settings for power saving, ACPI and "advanced features". Try to start with a "safe configuration", disabling overclocking and other special features. It might help. And when you find a "stable" configuration, then try to re-enable BIOS options one at a time.

I looked at the BIOS and nothing seemed apparentlty untoward.

I remembered I had an old PC not doing anything, so I thought I'd give the graph card a try - thinking that with a reboot, MDK would recognise the change in H/W and prompt a reconfig.

Well, I was wrong - I switched PC back on, and there was no boot up process (no beeps) - though the combo CD/DVD light was flashing. I tried a couple of times to reboot - same thing, no boot up beeps, machine is clearly running - I can hear it and light are on. No screen on the monitor though - take the cable out and it brings up prompt box to 'check video cable'. The monitor is OK - it works perfectly on another box.

Fed up, I re installed the original graph card - and the same problem persists - i.e. no boot up beeps/no screen.

I've swapped the jumper settings on the mobo - tried 1&2/2&3/none - and it makes no difference at all. Mobo is an Intel SE440BX-2 with a P3

How can I reclaim my PC - even with the original problems stated at the beginning of this thread.

+++I'VE FIXED THIS ELEMENT OF THIS THREAD - SEEMS I MUST HAVE DISLODGED SOMETHING INSIDE WHEN TAKING OUT THE GRAPH CARD - I DOUBLE CHECKED EVERYTHING, MADE SURE EVERYTHING FIT SNUG - REBOOTED, AND VOILA, MAN THAT WAS SCARY, THOUGHT I'D TOTALLY SCREWED UP :unsure: +++

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

+++I'VE FIXED THIS ELEMENT OF THIS THREAD - SEEMS I MUST HAVE DISLODGED SOMETHING INSIDE WHEN TAKING OUT THE GRAPH CARD - I DOUBLE CHECKED EVERYTHING, MADE SURE EVERYTHING FIT SNUG - REBOOTED, AND VOILA, MAN THAT WAS SCARY, THOUGHT I'D TOTALLY SCREWED UP :unsure: +++

Cheers.

nice to hear. :)