10.0 communitiy update problem

Guest hunterontheway

Guest hunterontheway

I trie to update my mandrake 10.0 community additon buut after choosing a mirror site it said me that ""coulndt find synthesi/hdlist. No update_sources exist."". Something like that. Before that i had used uprmi and used urpmi.remove -a. As a result now i dont have my installation cds list at my draketool. How can i recover them.

and how can i update my mandrake?

go to easyurpmi, set up your mirrors as explained there. once that is done, type as root in a terminal "urpmi --auto-select" in order to update your distro. if you encounter any problems, post them here.

good luck :)

Edited by arctic

hunterontheway...........

what were you trying to do exactly? if you were trying to update 10.0 to 10.1, then do as arctic suggested.

if you were just trying to get security/bug fix/etc. updates for 10.0, then the case is a bit different. if that is the true, go to the Easy URPMI link that arctic posted. follow the instructions there & set yourself up with "contrib", "plf", & "security" sources for 10.0. also, if you get a "main" source there, you wouldn't need to add your local CD sources back, because "main" contains everything on the CD's. you'd just be installing stuff from the ftp site, instead of installing from your CD's.

if you still want your CD sources back, do the following..........

open MCC (Mandrake Control Center)->software management->media manager. insert the Cd into the drive. mount it if neccessary. click the "add" button. choose "removable device". give it a name (IE: 10.1 CD, or whatever you like). use the browse button to browse to the CD location. (should be something like /mnt/cdrom) leave the "relative path........." blank. click "ok" in the dialogue box. it will add the CD source. click "ok" in the media manager box.

finally, please note that the error message you saw (synthesis/hdlist does not exist........) was probably because you did urpmi.removemedia -a. the -a switch means you removed "all" (-a=all) of your update sources, hence there were no hdlists (or any sources, for that matter) to get updates/apps from.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Guest hunterontheway

Thanx for your answer. Here is waht i did exactly. ı wasnt trying to upgrade to 10.1:

I clicked on the (click on there to browse and start app) thing and choosed system -> configuration -> packaging -> MandrakeUpdate

Then i tried some mirror sites. But everytime it said:

Unable to add medium, errors reported

retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with signal 9

retrieval of source hdlist (or sythesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "update source" problem reading sythesis file medium "update_source"

I understood the problem and yoru explanations. At 10.0 there is no update that i can use with urpmi. At least urpmi.update didnt work too. What i want is just to update all my isntalled software.

The "Install package" : rpmdrake is working. ı can see the packages and choose the necessary ones. But what i afraid is to install the same thingsor the eraly versions again.

I only want to use one version of a sofware.

Can i fix the problem?

i'm at work, so here's a quick answer.........

go to the Easy URPMI link arctic supplied. as i said before, use that to set up main, plf, contrib, & update sources. if you still want CD sources (which you don't need with a "main" source), set them up as i explained.

the message you were getting was probably due to a mirror site being down/unavailable. when that happens, try a bunch of different sites until you find one that works, or wait & try again later.

don't worry about installing older/or duplicate apps with the software installer. it will only allow you to install newer versions of apps or updates for them. you can't install the same version, or an earlier/inferior version of the same app using the software installer.

gotta get back to work.........

Chris