Samba chatter

Guest LocoMojo

Guest LocoMojo

Hello, I'm brand spanking new to Linux (less than a month) and I'm running a 3 box home network, Mandrake 10, Knoppix HD install, and Win XP (all workstations).

I've noticed an incredible amount of chatter (flashing lights on my router) whenever I mount a Samba share. Is this normal? I know that this never happened when all my boxes were running Windows though. The chatter never stops, it is continuous and it will go for hours if I keep the shares mounted. Once I unmount the shares (via smb4k) the chatter ceases immediately. It really is nerve wracking to see the lights keep flashing like that.

Like I said, I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure what information would be helpful in diagnosing my problem, if indeed it is a problem. I'm wondering if there's a misconfiguration somewhere? The network runs great as I am able to share anything I want with no problems and at good speeds. If there is any additional specific information that would be helpful, please tell me what and I'll post it.

Please, can anyone shed some light on why there would be so much network chatter when mounting samba shares?

By the way, a bit off the point, but I just had to say that I absolutely love Mandrake Linux so far and I think there's no turning back to Windows except for a few apps I need occasionally.

Oh yeah, I have a few other issues that I need to work out. they're not network related so I'll post those issues in the appropriate threads.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LocoMojo