vmware issue de jour

Greetings all

I am an avid mandrake user. I am now (just recently) using the latest greatest 10.1, with the 2.6.8 mdk kernel.

Heres the beef......

I just installed vmware workstation 4.5.2 or whatever is going around with the rpm.

It installed ok, and the kernel seemed to swallow all that it did. I can get the workstation up and running strong, and can get it to boot off of my win XP pro cd, which goes through the hassles of trying to install.

Half way through the xp installation I get this error from XP:

System Setup log - (C:/WINDOWS/setuperr.log)

Error:

Installation Failed: D:/I386/asms. Error Message: Incorrect function.

Fatal Error:

One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.]

Incorrect function.

This is a known copy of xp (just put it on my wifes windoz box) so the problem isnt there.

Also, Ive gone through the usual frustration-tactics of the casual user: Ive reinstalled mandrake, and then vmware, and then windoz three times, getting identical results. (someone told me once that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping each time to mysteriously get different results.)

I have used an older version of vmware on my older mandrake installation (9.2) and it worked fine, also, Ive had some experience with this os-vmware-xp setup.

I can't figure out what the heck is going on, can someone please help me?

As usual, any help will get you your choice of any two of my kids, and any one of the cars from around my block.

Cheers

Ken

Greetings again.

I have found what may not be a solution, but is a cute work-a-round.

I created an iso of the xp cd with

mkisofs -o xpcrap.iso -D /path/to/iso

evidently linux generally can only see so many layers deep on a data cd of this type.

The path to the necessary files in /I386/asms etc etc was way too deep for it to see it, so I made an iso with the -D tag, telling it to ignore everything and just copy the damn thing. Then I told vmware to use an iso instead of a device for booting. I figure I'll just change it back to /dev/cdrom whatever when I get xp installed.

Can you believe that I'm blowing my weekend doing this just so that I can install mathcad 12 on my box without having to dualboot or anything cheesy like that.

I'm an engineering student (obviously not computer engineering) and I need this to work so that I can do my homework.

Does this make me a nerd?

Cheers, it's beer time!

Ken