logout locks up

Guest Okie2003

Guest Okie2003

I hope I am on the right forum. I am an intermediate Windows user wanting to switch home and office to Linux. I have tried a few distros and think I would like to use Mandrake. Problem: my office system is a Dell Dimension XPST600r, PIII 600, 384 MB Ram, ATI Rage 128 Pro video card. I am testing 10.1 CE with 2.6.8 kernel. When I try to logout there is a brief sound and the screen goes black and the system locks up. I have to power down to reboot. Then I get the notice that I did not shut down cleanly. I have tried shutting down in KDM (KED 3.2.3) and XDM and logging in as root and shutting down. The results are all the same. Xandros doesn't have this problem. Knoppix or Mandrake Move 9.2 (?) also work fine. I had the same problem with 10.0CE. Could it be a BIOS setting? I thought an earlier install of 10.0 worked, but I am not sure. I don't know if the 2.4 kernel will work, but I need the 2.6 since the Mandrake 2.4 will not work with CrossOver Office.

I don't seem to have this problem on my home built box.

Thanks for any help.

do you get any error messages?

you could try looking in /var/log/messages for any relevant entries as a starting point.

Leo

edit: Oh yes, Welcome. It can be hard going at times but there is always someone around here that can help.

Edited by Leo