Cannot get Acrobat Reader browser plugin to work

Uiler

Hi guys

I have a problem getting the Acrobat Reader plugin to work in Opera and Mozilla.

I installed Acrobat 5.0.9 (the latest version) in /usr/local/Acrobat5 (the default directory). I added the path to .bashrc so I could just type in "acroread" from the command line and it is working fine. Pdf files in Konqueror also run acrobat reader fine. However I can't get the plugin nppdf.so to work. The plugin is located in /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux.

I run Mandrake 10 (Official) with Opera 7.54 and Mozilla 1.6. Everything is up to date. I added the path to the plugin in the Opera list of directories to look for plugin. I also made a symlink called "nppdf.so" in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins and ~/.mozilla/plugins (just to be sure). In Mozilla however it always loads the xpdf plugin! This is despite the lines in ~/.mozilla/pluginreg.dat:

/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so:$

:$

1085163496000:1:5:$

:$

nppdf.so:$

0:application/pdf:Portable Document Format:pdf:$

So clearly it is detecting it.

Opera detects the plugin (it is listed in the list of plugins). However when you click on a pdf file you get a blank white page (if you choose "Save As" from the File menu you can save the pdf file).

Any ideas?

are you sure you installed the plugin & symlink correctly? it's different for each browser. here's how i did it. works fine in Opera 7.54 (my main browser) & Mozilla............

since it looks like you've install Adobe Reader 5.09 correctly, we'll go right to the plugins........

for Opera..............

you don't need to make a symlink or copy the plugin .so file. just open Opera. go to tools->preferences->plugins & click "change path". if an Adobe plugin is present pointing to /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux, remove it by highlighting it & clicking "remove". (this is to ensure an old plugin won't conflict with this one.) click "add", then browse to /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux. add the plugin, click "apply"->"ok". then, click the "find new" button, so Opera can detect the plugin. click "apply"->"ok". now, CLOSE OPERA & restart it. (<-that's important!) go to a site with .pdf docs & test it. you can go HERE to test it. if it isn't working, go to tools->preferences->file types. uncheck the "hide file types opened with Opera" box, type pdf in the search box, click on the "application/pdf" file type, click "edit" & make sure it's set to open with the plugin. if not, set it, "apply"->"ok" restart Opera & test again.

for Mozilla........

CLOSE MOZILLA! (<-that's important!) then, open a terminal as root to create a symlink. the Mozilla plugin directory on a default install should be /usr/lib/mozilla-<version number>/plugins. so type, cd /usr/lib/mozilla-<version number>/plugins. then type ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so (enter). open Mozilla & again test with a pdf doc online (above mentioned test link).

Chris

Well, this sounds like all the stuff I did before. But just to be sure I redid the Opera stuff as you said, and it still doesn't work (still the blank white page). I was going to redo Mozilla as you said, but I checked the symlink I made in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins and it seemed to be OK so I fired up Mozilla and suddenly the plugin is working there. I have no idea what's going on here, as I have not changed a single thing (and yes, I closed and restarted Mozilla a half dozen times before so it's not that). Still I don't know what's going on with Opera.

are you sure you installed the plugin & symlink correctly? it's different for each browser. here's how i did it. works fine in Opera 7.54 (my main browser) & Mozilla............

ok, for Opera, let's try this.............

again, first close Opera. let's try symlinking the Adobe Reader plugin to Opera. open a terminal, su to root. cd to the /usr/lib/opera/plugins directory. then type.......... ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so (enter) to create the symlink. open Opera & go throught the plugins drill again. when done with that, restart Opera & try a pdf link. let me know..........

Chris

i'm at a loss then, Uiler. the method i described in my first post works for me all the time. i just suggested trying the symlink in hopes that would work for your case, for some reason. are you sure you have the plugin paths set correctly & the file association? if so, then i'm out of ideas for now, sorry.

Chris

not to beat a dead horse, but.............

i just tested the install methods last night, to be absolutely sure it works, because it's been a while since i installed it. i uninstalled the Adobe Reader, removed all plugins, then reinstalled. the method i described in my first post worked fine for each browser. are you sure you did everything exactly as stated? just wondrin', 'cause i don't understand why it don't work for you?

Chris