Xine MRL to play music CD?

theYinYeti

Hello,

I use Xine 1.0rc5. I'd like to instruct Xine to start playing a music CD, once it is already running, using a remote-control. Browsing through the available Xina-LIRC commands revealed that it is impossible directly.

So I now start Xine with the "-n" switch, and I instruct LIRC to execute xine-remote.

OK. Now, for playing a DVD, no problem:

-> xine-remote -c "mrl play dvd://"

But for playing a music CD, I don't find!!! I googled, and googled again... NOTHING!!! Here's what I've tried so far:

cdda:

cdda:/

cdda://

cdda://1

cdda:///dev/cdrom

cdda:///dev/cdrom#1

cdda:///dev/cdrom@1

vcd://

vcd:///dev/cdrom

vcd:///dev/cdrom@1

Nothing works! With cdda, I always get there is nothing to handle this mrl, and with vcd, I always get wrong kind of media.

In xine config panel, cdda device is set to /dev/cdrom, and the GUI's "CD" button IS WORKING. What can I try?

Yves.

sounds strange to me. i never had problems with xine in mandy. just inserted the cd, clicked on "CD" (cdda) and i instantly listened to music.

question: do you have separate cd-rom and dvd-drives or do you listen to the cd-roms using the dvd-drive? and which vendor is it (the drive)?

just inserted the cd, clicked on "CD"

Thanks for answering arctic. But you didn't read enough, or my need is not exposed clearly enough :)

Clicking on "CD" does work. But I want to do it remotely, that is by giving Xine what is called a "MRL". For playing a whole DVD, it is "dvd://".

But for playing a whole music CD, I don't know. I've just found how to play a single track: "cdda:/1" will play track 1 for example. It's a good start but I want to play the whole disk, without giving Xine a playlist (I don't know how many tracks a CD has!)

Based on this first result, I tried:

cdda:/*

cdda:/@

cdda:/#

cdda://dev/cdrom

cdda:/dev/cdrom

Still nothing... What is the MRL for playing a whole CD? There must be a way!

Yves. :wall:

This might help you

To play a DVD, use dvd://1 as the URL. This will play the first title of the DVD. To play a different title, change 1 to the title number you want to play.

To play a video CD, use vcd://1, where 1 is the track number.

To play an audio CD, use cdda://1, where 1 is the track number. Another way to play an audio CD is by using the audiocd I/O Slave.

To play from a TV card, use tv://1, where 1 is the TV channel number, or tv://channelname to refer to the channel by name.

To play from a DVB card, use dvb://channelname, where channelname is one of the channel names defined in channels.conf file for MPlayer.

As always, you can start KPlayer from a terminal program like Konsole with the URL you want to play. In the terminal program type

kplayer mediaurl

where mediaurl can be any of the URL types described above. If the URL has spaces, you need to enclose it in single quotes so your shell does not try to interpret them. After you press Enter, KPlayer will start if it is not already running, add the URL to the playlist and start playing the media.

KDE I/O slaves: fish, sftp, webdav, tar, zip, audiocd, etc.

KDE has a great way to access all kinds of data through a system known as I/O Slaves. They are little programs that let you represent many different sources of data as URL like addresses, and open them in KDE programs like Konqueror and KPlayer. For example you can access a network host over SSH with a URL like fish:/host/path, or a zip file with a URL like zip:/home/cooldude/my.zip.

So you paste a URL like that in Konqueror address bar, hit Enter and see the data source as if it was a usual file or a directory with files and subdirectories in it. If one of those files happens to be a multimedia file like an MP3 file for example, you can left click it so that KPlayer opens up and starts playing the file, just like with plain local files. As usual, for this to work KPlayer needs to be the top program for that file type on the File Associations page in Konqueror or KDE Control Center.

Those same URLs will work in the Open File dialog that you get when you select File->Open, or click the Open button in KPlayer. Or if you have the full URL to the media file itself, like fish:/host/path/song.mp3 or zip:/home/cooldude/my.zip/subdir/song.mp3, you can paste it into the Open URL dialog that you get by selecting File->Open URL or clicking the Open URL button in KPlayer.

Just like with local files and remote addresses, you can start KPlayer from a terminal program like Konsole with the URL you want to play. This is useful for example if you copied the URL to the clipboard in a text editor. In the terminal program type

kplayer mediaurl