Blank Screen on load [SOLVED]

Guest beckdmb

Guest beckdmb

I am brand new to everything that is Linux. I got the mandrake 10.1ce ISOs from a friend. I know they are good because they worked fine for him. I tried installing on my HP ze4145 laptop. I chose to use the whole hard disk instead of dual booting. The installation went fine. When my computer boots it goes to a scrren where I can select Linux, Linux fail-safe, and one other option I can't remember. I choose Linux, and after the progress bar fills up...the screen goes blank and stays like that. I've tried re-installing several times and get the same results. My BIOS (phoenix??) does not have a PnP option. What do I do?

Thanks!

It's probably a problem with X (the grahics server for Linux). In the boot menu choose Linux fail-safe, log in as root (by typing root and giving your password). Type: init 3. That will bring you to runlevel 3 where you can use XFdrake (Mandrakes configuration tool for X) so type: XFdrake and edit the settings.

Log out as root by typing exit. Log in as normal user and start X by typing startx.

Good luck.

Guest beckdmb

Ok, I reinstalled and did it with 'linux noapic noacpi'. I found something during the install summary that i believe allowed me to disable the acpi. I still the same blank screen when I try to run Linux though. I tried fail-safe and it said 'BIOS data check successful!'. Then it ran down a list of commands and froze.

3 ACPI things are listed:

ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initrd ... not found!

ACPI: Sussystem revision 20040326

ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Level Trigger.

that last one is where it freezes.

Also, when installing it asks me about where to put the boot record. Should i choose first sector of MBR or root partition?

Guest rccapps
Tried going with 10.0 official instead of 10.1 and am able to run with no problems.  Thanks for all the help.

I'm having much the same problem: I installed Mandrake 10.1 after reducing the existing WinXP partition. The install went without a hitch, but I get the same blank screen when I try to boot linux, and pretty much the same messages when I try to boot failsafe or the other one. Ironically, WinXP boots with no problem!

Short of reinstalling with 10.0, is there anything to be done for 10.1? I went into rescue mode and tried some stuff, still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Guest ddavis539

I am having the exact same problem trying to go from 10.0 Official to 10.1 Community. My Laptop (HP ze4400) locks up even in failsafe mode after displaying "ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Level Trigger."

To fix this problem, I have to modify lilo.conf and add acpi=ht, which is what 10.0 defaulted to. Unfortunately, this setting completely disables acpi on my laptop, and I'm back to having no power management and a noisy fan running constantly.

Is this a problem with the kernel version tied to 10.1?