How do i boot mdk from the rescue console

Guest Desperate

Guest Desperate

Hi all

Having trouble booting mdk. Lilo is trying to boot hda5 but running lsparts in the rescue console shows that mdk is definately on hda6. how do i boot that partition from the console. I really need to get it running.

many Thanks

Moved from Software forum to Terminal Shell Commands, Kernel and Programming by Artificial Intelligence

Guest Desperate

Hi there,

Thanks, got everything up to edit lilo.

There are several image sections which say root= /dev/hda6

The append lines contain references to /dev/hda5. are these what i need to change?

How do you actually edit the lines it doesn't seem very obvious?

is lilo -v used to save the file?

where do i type it in.

Sorry to sound so stupid but i 'm a noob, Never guessed did you!

Thanks again

does the append say 'resume' when referencing 'hda5'? I'd say remove it completely but I don't use lilo, I use grub. I don't even know what the resume is for :lol:

do you know what hda5 is?

to edit the file using vi, press;

i

for insert. To save the file press

Esc

:

wq

and press Enter.

executing the lilo -v command writes the info somewhere, I guess the mbr? ...but it is necessary for the changes to take effect. I don't know because I use grub and it's not necessary to do anything but edit grub's config file :P

don't appologize!

we all were/are n00bs!

Guest duncangareth

Hi there

In the lilo.conf, the "append=" line contains parameters to be passed to the kernel at boot time.

The resume=/dev/hda? seems to refer to the swap device. I am still hunting for some docs on this.

Anyway, make sure that your lilo.conf entries are consistent. In other words, if your root partition is /dev/hda5 and your swap partition is /dev/hda6, then make sure that the entry contains the line:

root=/dev/hda5 - it is quite normal for there to be a "resume=/dev/hda6" in the "append" line, as long as that is referring to the swap device.

cheers