modem

Guest tuxracer555

Guest tuxracer555

hi

i am a linux newbie and want to install my modem (mandrake recognized and installed all drivers except this one). It doesn't even show up on the hardware list.

my modem is an old one (motorola sm56 DFM). I have downloaded the linux drivers (rpm) from the motorola website( I am not sure if it is specific for mandrake 10, I think it is a general driver).

Could someone please guide me step by step on how to install the driver. :help: I installed mandrake only a week ago and all i know is point and click

hi tuxracer. :)

first of all: what is the exact name of the rpm? is it a src.rpm or maybe an i586 rpm? give us some info on that one and we will get it running fast.

at least i hope so. ;)

I know this isn't the most helpful response, but for now, it's all I've got. some of this I'm sure you've heard before, some might be new.

1. You should REALY consider getting a new hardware controlled modem. Winmodems can be a nightmare to install and configure and even when properly configured do NOT EVER work as well as a good hardware controlled modem. Some folks will dissagree, but I've tested a lot of modems, and I'm sure.

2. Personaly i reccomend the Creative Labs MODEMBLASTER External Serial modem. It's $50 to $60 last I checked, maybe less now, and it's fantastic. as plus, it can be set up with just some pointing and clicking.

3. Don't get discouraged if you find help with your modem a litle sparse. These days, fewer and fewer people (especialy linux users) are using dial-up. the majority of us use some sort of broadband.

4. I stopped using dial-up shortly after installing mandrake 10.0Community edition, and while I don't remember a lot of specifics, I can tell you that i found it to be an extremely flaky distro when it came to dial-up. 9.2 on the other hand worked like a dream with MSN dial-up.

Good luck

Guest tuxracer555

Thanks for offering to help.

Actually, now I think that it is mandrake 10 rpm (sm56-06.05.02-2.mdk10_263-7.i586.rpm). O.K. now how can I set it up for mandrake step by step?

Right now all I am using Linux is for word processing. :unsure: