supermount not working with newly compiled kernel

I have recently attempted to compile a new kernel for my system (2.4.20) and it worked well enough for me to boot with and use it (running it now).

I do, however, get a lot of errors when booting regarding supermount - I get fs supermount not supported two or three times during boot. I went back to xconfig and I find no reference to supermount at all - any suggestions on how to get this working?

Also, whilst the compile does seem to have (basically) worked, I have no real performance improvement - which is why I bothered with the recompile in the first place. I have done as many things as modules as I could, but apart from that - I simply can't see how I could improve things any more. I do realise that it will be a bit ofa trial and error thing, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be worth a try? I am also aware that each system will be different, but I'm only looking for a few pointers here.

I have recently attempted to compile a new kernel for my system (2.4.20) and it worked well enough for me to boot with and use it (running it now).

I do, however, get a lot of errors when booting regarding supermount - I get fs supermount not supported two or three times during boot. I went back to xconfig and I find no reference to supermount at all - any suggestions on how to get this working?

Is it a vanilla kernel? If it is, then there is no way to run supermount on it (if things hasn't changed). Supermount is a Mandrake feature that only works with mandrake's kernels.

The errors you get are because the kernel can't understand the supermount's flags that are on your /etc/fstab. You should remove them, by editing that file by hand, or by running "/usr/sbin/supermount -i disable".

If you want to re-enable supermount, just put back the 'supermount' flags on your CD and floppy entries or run "/usr/sbin/supermount -i enable".

Also, whilst the compile does seem to have (basically) worked, I have no real performance improvement - which is why I bothered with the recompile in the first place. I have done as many things as modules as I could, but apart from that - I simply can't see how I could improve things any more. I do realise that it will be a bit ofa trial and error thing, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be worth a try? I am also aware that each system will be different, but I'm only looking for a few pointers here.
My advice is to remove (or put as a module) everything that you don't need, that will make a light kernel and thus faster. Also you can search for any patches you'll think might improve your system and play with them. If something goes wrong, try again, and again (you have always the mandrake kernel if needed).

have fun :wink:

Supermount is a Mandrake feature that only works with mandrake's kernels.

Is there a way to get supermount support as a module?

(you have always the mandrake kernel if needed).

Can I get the mandrake kernel as a .tar.gz file anywhere? If not, ho would I begin this process witha src rpm?

Is there a way to get supermount support as a module?
I don't think so, at least not for the vanilla kernel. But things might have changed since the last time I looked for it.

Can I get the mandrake kernel as a .tar.gz file anywhere?  If not, ho would I begin this process witha src rpm?

If you install the kernel-sources.rpm package you can proceed the same way you did with the vanilla tarball (is the way I do). Also I guess that you can compile the rpm packaged kernel sources with "rpm --recompile package"