Disaster

payasam

This is not, strictly speaking, an installation matter; but I don't know where else to put it. I had a functioning 10.0 Official system, but it is no longer working.

I began to get a "Umount /initrd: device is busy" message.

There were several messages which went "dma_intr drive status error CRC ...".

When I boot into Linux, the process ends with figures running rapidly up the screen and the hard drive not spinning: the only option is a hard reboot.

I tried the "rescue" option but nothing seemed to happen.

When I chose the "upgrade" option, after considerable inactivity this message came up: "Can't find Mandrake/base/compssUsers", and things were back to square one.

I have also got "XIO: fatal IO error 104".

Might this be a hardware problem? The "dma" in the third para above makes me suspicious, and my Win 98 has also been behaving erratically.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

i almost think that some hardware is going crazy. if you are still able to boot into windows, try to do a hardware check. also take a look at your bios, maybe something got changed. in case you have one, you could use a live cd to examine your hardware and your fstab properly.

Edited by arctic

Hello my very good friend.

I think the trouble also now occurring in Win98 is a pointer to hardware problem.

In order of likelihood I think it could be

1. Memory. If you have dual sticks of memory then try each one on its own in turn.

2. Hard Drive. You are right about the DMA part of the message being ominous.

3. Mainboard. Possible but least likely.

Let us know what you find out about the Memory aspect first.

Cheers. John.

Thanks, Arctic and John. I just tested my hard drive (barring a surface scan) with a utility made by its manufacturer, Samsung. The utility says all is OK but I cannot understand why the drive's light sometimes stays lit when there is no reason for disk activity. I shall now run an excellent memory diagnostic program I have. That will leave the mainboard. One thing is certain. Until these things are sorted out I shall not touch Mandrake. Can't afford so much time.