go in the taskbar !!!!

a13x

I think that pretty much says it. The wide variety of DM's available for linux is both blessing and curse.

Most apps could care less, but dm specific apps, like kscd and ksirc and so on, don't play well with other DM's, because much like integrated components in Windows, they assume certain constants about the environment, so when you run them (or try to run them) in a different DM, they don't know how to cope. The best advice i can give you is to either switch to kde or find gnome specific apps to do the same things.

there's actually two ways to put an icon down there; there's the Panel Notification Area, which is unified across GNOME and KDE, and the concept of a panel applet. The concept of the notification area is that it's an assigned space for applications to *temporarily* pop up icons when they want to notify you of something. Supposedly, if something wants to live on the panel permanently, it should be written as a panel applet, which is an actual separate "item" on the panel. (In practice, the Panel Notification Area application *itself* is a panel applet. I hope I'm not losing people here. :>)

the problem with this is that the Notification Area works under KDE and GNOME, while you can't currently write a genuine panel applet which will actually work as a panel applet in both (or you can, but you need to write two entirely different chunks of code, you can't use the same code for both DEs). So what several apps do is cheerfully abuse the concept of the Notification Area and use it to function as panel applets - i.e., they stick an icon in there *all the time*. That's not what the notification area is meant to be for, but since it works on both KDE and GNOME (and other DE's - it's a freedesktop.org standard), it's subject to such usage. This is how gaim works (and also the Mandrake alert_applet and net_applet). Hopefully, freedesktop will get around to standardising panel applets, and the notification area can go back to being used for what it's supposed to be used for.

thus endeth the lesson...:)