hotplug and supermount - SOLVED

Leo

I have hotplug working on MDK 10.0 CE and am running a 2.6.7 kernel with bootsplash patch however whenever I plug my digital camera (fuji finepix S7000) in and turn it on my /etc/fstab gets updated with a line for the camera. Unfortunately the line requires supermount which my kernel does not have. I can manually amend the /etc/fstab and mount the camera but would like to adjust the script that inserts the /etc/fstab line to insert what I need in there instead. I think it is related to the hotplug script and somehow calls /usr/sbin/update-fstab but cannot work out how this happens or how to adjust the script.

Many thanks for your help

Leo

In my camera's manual, they write to use the "Disconnect" function of the supplied software before unplugging the camera. In other words, with Unix vocabulary, the device should be unmounted before unplugging it. At last, they understand the plain evidence :) Unplugging (or ejecting) without unmounting is (and has always been) dangerous!

For this reason, I suggest you simply disable supermount for your camera (and even for every writable media).

Yves.

Thank you both for your replies.

Yves, I did not know that, although I did not want supermount, this convinces me it would not be a good idea.

Anna, I had a look at the script you mention but could not make much sense of it :unsure: although I have a feeling that there is still a step I am missing. This may well be used at some point but I think I need to find the script that calls this one and passes the parameters. This appears to require the device to be passed to it and checks whether supermount is required.

Any other ideas?

OK, I have it fixed now, thanks for all the help.

I had a go at following

/usr/sbin/drakupdate_fstab

which checks

/etc/sysconfig/dynamic

for the value of SUPERMOUNT, this file did not exist so I created it with

SUPERMOUNT=no

in it and now /mnt/removeable gets created along with a corresponding entry in /etc/fstab (without supermount)

Hurrah!