Very Newbie Needs Help!

Guest dburak

Guest dburak

I am about as new to this as it gets. I have been a "Windows" user for years, put in the disk and the installation happens just like that. I downloaded the Madrakelinux Version 10.1 after doing some research and thought about installing the software to give it a try.

Looked easy enough, I just don't have a clue where to start. I am used to self loading type programs, the programs that I was able to download all have .iso file extensions, and I don't have a clue what to do with them or how to install them on a new hard drive.

Any help to get me pointed in the right direction would be great, I am computer literate, but this a little more than I anticipated.

Dale

Well, those .iso files you downloaded are CD images. You need to burn them to disk as such. In nero (maybe others as well) there is an entry in the File menu for burn cd image.

Once you have done that, I would suggest resizing your partition(s) to allow space for MandrakeLinux to install. You can do this with a program like Partition Magic (version 7 or higher if you have NTFS partitions). Defragging your Windows hard drive before you do this is a very good idea, fyi.

After that is done, pop cd 1 into your drive and reboot your computer. As long as your BIOS is set to boot from cd, you'll be all set. If you resized the partition(s) like I said above and just left some space blank then you'll be good to go with the install.

Compared to some (overpriced) alternatives, Linux installs very quickly. Depending on the packages you install, you can be up and running in as little as 20 minutes (depending, of course, on your hardware).

Of course, we're here to help if you get stuck. Feel free to come and post anything here, or come join us on IRC (see my sig for info, or click on the chat link at the top of the page).

Most of all, welcome to the board and to Linux in general. Hope you find it as enjoyable as most of us do!

• 2 weeks later...