SiSoft Sandra for Linux?

DoomedTX

I guess the title says it: I'm looking for an application or series of applications for Linux that is/are comparable to SiSoft Sandra for Windows. I'd like to be able to run the program and have it tell me things such as my motherboard type/performance, memory type/performance, etc. Searching this site shows a lot of people commenting on their benchmark performance but little info on how to benchmark. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by DoomedTX

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ShereKhan

Hi. I am also very interested in that. I'm a programmer and my friends and I want to make a program that looks like Sandra but for linux. Can you tell me some system commands that can help me. I remember that there was something for the video card .. just one command. And when you type it, it checks how good the card is and gives some points. So that the better the card is the more points it gets. Or can you tell me anything that can help. Oh, and by the way I want the program to work on any distributions, not only on mandrake.

Thank you in advance!

glxgears will test the 3d ability of a graphics card, but the results are easy to take out of context. lspci should return some hardware info, and lots of things can be gleaned from proc, eg:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

cat /proc/meminfo

top and free can also provide some information on current resources.

Guest ShereKhan

Yeah! Good for glxgears. That was the command I was talkin' about. But I can't use "cat /proc/*" or top & free because I don't need information about the devices. I simply want to make a program that gives points to devices. So, for example, if I have Duron 800 and Celeron 800 they have the same frequencies but they have to get different points. So what can I use to test the processor, for example ?

However there are many programs that do part of what Sandra does. Look under the system item in the Mandrake menu. When you add that information together you'll have the same results.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for two main things that Sandra did for my Windows machine that I can't seem to find: the motherboard model number and the exact type of memory installed. This information helped me accurately upgrade the processor and RAM in the other machine. I'd like to find out on this machine without opening the case; not because I don't know how, but because I want to see Linux do the same (and more) as Windows XP.

Thanks again.

Guest ShereKhan
hdparm -tT /dev/hda

Yes! Thank you, iphitus! It's perfect! (Only one thing .. how can understand whether it is hda or hdc or ... ?)

I think I'll use memtest for the RAM check. But what about the processor? If I make it cycle and count how many cycles it makes for some time will that be an objective result?

And something else .. glxgears doesn't "catch" many effects .. like bluring, alpha blending and many others, does it ? Is there a better test command for the video card ?

Edited by ShereKhan