Cable Internet

Guest ump

Cable Internet is finally availbe here now all I need to do is hook it up to my MDK Box

So here is my plan of action

Motorola sb 4100 or 4200 cable modem attached to a Netgear MR314 Cable/DSL router connecting to my MDK Box and a MIn Me Box

Any suggestion on ease or diffeculty setting up

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before my Jan. 8th install date.

Any and all help is greatly apprciated

Ump

I use the Motorola SB4100 and have no problems with it using ethernet. Never could get it to work with the USB bus in linux however and wound up getting a NIC and using ethernet. After getting the NIC, setup was a breeze in mcc>Network&internet>Connections. Just clicked on the wizzard and the thing was configured without a hitch.

I just bought a Linksys router(model BEFSR41) at Radio Shack on sale for $60 after rebate. Did the initial setup/configuration of the router in windows after which everything just worked in Mandrake 9.0 without further configuration. This router comes with a built in firewall which is pretty nice.

• 2 months later...
Guest Forged

System Specs

CPU: 2.4 P4

Motherboard: P4 Titan 667

NIC: Realtek 8139B (PCI Slot 3)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard 4100

Provider: Comcast

Mandrake version: 9.1rc2 - 9.0 also produced the same results.

I have the same modem (SB4100, tried 4200 too) as you two and I'm having a lot of trouble getting my "Internet Connection" up. I tried using the MCC wizard to automatically setup the stuff and it never gets an IP from the DHCP server. I've tried setting it as both a LAN and a Cable connection and neither works. Because it can not obtain an IP, it finally times out and Mandrake assigns the interface a default address (169.254.x.x).

I'm not too great with networking, but here is what information I've gathered:

A ping to TCP loopback produces a response.

A ping to the default address assigned to the NIC produces a response.

Everything works properly under Windows 2000 and Redhat 8.

I've power cycled the modem so that it can "refresh" its configuration.

The NIC's IRQ used in Mandrake and Windows is the same. (19)

I don't really know what else to do.. I think it may be my nic now that I'm done writing this heh.. Apparently the little "driver" that mandrake uses only lists 8139/8139C/8139C+ for its name, and my NIC card is 8139B -_-..

I'm going to try buying a new NIC.. could anyone recommend a good one that is carried at BestBuy right now? (It's just down the road, so it's convient)

Forged

I will look tonight and see which one I bought but I did get mine at wal-mart

The basic Netgear nic that Best Buy sells was recommended to me on this very forum i don't remeber the model right off the top of my head.

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a firewall blocking your connection?

I know on my system I had shorewall installed and everytime I made changes to shore wall it hosed my connection requiring me to restart MDK.

Did you enter a DHCP server name in MCC I seem to remember I did that and it cuased me not to be able to connect

hope this helps if I think of anything else i'll post please post back your findings for all to see

Thanks

ump

I had cable internet for a while. I have seen no mention of dhcp clients, so that may be your problem. I had to use dhclient, which is gets the dynamic IP address (dhcp). Be sure have a dhcp client service started. The dhcp client, dhclient, is confusing at first, but it did work well or me. There is also, I believe, "pump". Also, for me it was necessary to use iptables as a firewall. The following is part of the successor of script that started iptables:

# note /etc/sysctl.conf

# rp_filter, ip_forward, and ip_always_defrag

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# echo 1 > net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter

# echo 1 > net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag

echo '========================='

echo 'iptables packet filter'

echo '========================='

NET_DYNA=`ifconfig ppp0 | grep "inet*" | cut -f2 -d: | cut -d' ' -f1 `

NET_BCAST=`ifconfig ppp0 | grep "inet*" | cut -f3 -d: | cut -d' ' -f1 `

NET_DEF_GW=${NET_BCAST}

EXT_DNS_1=`cat /etc/resolv.conf | awk 'BEGIN { FS=" " }; { if (FNR == 3) print $2 }'`

EXT_DNS_2=`cat /etc/resolv.conf | awk 'BEGIN { FS=" " }; { if (FNR == 4) print $2 }'`

You would replace "ppp0" with "eth0" probably. If you have a dhcp client working, the ifconfig command should tell you the dynamic ip number. the "| grep ... " stuff extracts the ip number for use in iptables filter commands. There is information on this on the web, but it has been a while since I looked at it and my memory fails. Good luck.

It may be a firewall issue as suggested above. If you have shorewall installed and actvated it has caused problems for some. Once you set up shorewall and experience these problems, deactivating doesn't help because shorewall makes certain changes in the iptables which will persist even after shorewall is uninstalled, much less deactivated. The solution is to uninstall shorewall, then unistall iptables, then reinstall iptables. All this can be accompolished in Mandrake Control Center>Software Management.

Surfbioard 4200 has several problems, don't get it.

AT&T in Seattle called in the customers and replaced their 4200 with the 4220, which fixes the problems.

I think the problem was that the modem would loose all information and stop working, thinking you are trying to rip of the cable company.

Anyway... I never used a 4200 so I don't know. Just mentioning what AT&T was saying...