Acrobat Reader does not run

payasam

On my first installation of 10.0 about a week ago, I had installed Acrobat Reader 5.09. It worked as it should have worked. Having become irritated with strange behaviour, I reinstalled 10.0. This time, Acroread does not work. When I try to run it from the shortcut on the desktop, the indicator just bounces for whatever time-out has been set. When I try to run it from the command line I get this report:

Locale not supported by X-lib, locale set to C

X locale modifiers not supported, using default

Fatal System Error: Raise at top of Exception Stack

Aborted

There is XPDF on the system but I'd rather have this as well. Help appreciated.

I might add, because locale is mentioned here, that my installation settings were British English and Calcutta. Later, when the clock began to misbehave, I found that Calcutta had become London.

I may not be much help here, as I'm en_US only, but.....

open a terminal and do;

printenv | grep LC

printenv | grep LANGUAGE

and post the results here. Maybe that'll help someone that knows about this stuff :D If you want to see all your evnironment settings;

printenv

Will do, BVC. I can't see why en_US should be any different from en_GB, though. Ought they not to be different values for the same variable?

TWO HOURS LATER

printenv | grep LC returned en_GB for everything, including time, which was set to Calcutta

printenv | grep LANGUAGE returned en_GB:en

These remained the same even after I had changed the time zone to Cuba and rebooted.

I could not find a way to change the language setting.

Edited by payasam

I get these two reports also when I run Emacs:

Locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

X locale modifiers not supported, using default

There is no "Fatal System Error: Raise at top of Exception Stack" here as there was with Acrobat Reader, but on searching in Google I found that that is a common error with Acrobat Reader under SuSe.

Moderator: You might like to move this to a place where Xlib and locale are looked at more.