Need help in configuring my DSL connection

ainsaur

Hi,

I just installed Mandrake 10.1 Community but it doesn't recognize my DSL connection. My DSL service is through SBC (San Francisco Area). I'm using a USB DSL modem made by "2Wire" (model 1000HW).

I tried to add a new connection through the "Control Center" but I don't know which choice to use. The ADSL choice only sends me to a list of countries (none of them USA) in order to select a provider. The other choices require that I select a network card (which I can't do since the modem is connected to the computer using a USB port)

I'm only able to post this message because I can still access my service using my laptop running Windows 2000 Pro (the modem is wireless).

Please Help!

Alex

First thing you should do is get rid of the USB connection and use standard ethernet. Your DSL modem should have both. If for some weird reason it's USB-only, you should be able to exchange it for one that has a standard ethernet jack. Winblows Mac or Linux, ethernet is just a better way to go.

Then you should be able to simply enter the SBC-provided info for IP and gateway just like you would for Win or Mac setup (choose LAN, not ADSL) and go. Linux is no different in this regard. Keep in mind that the 'Net runs on TCPIP, and TCPIP is still TCPIP regardless of your OS.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The modem does have both connections but my computer doesn't have an ethernet card. I did find out from 2Wire, the maker of the modem, that it should work if I configure the internet connection for DHCP. How do I go about doing this? I'm a newbie so I would need fairly explicit instructions. If all else fails, I 'll go out and buy an ethernet card but I prefer to try out the DHCP route first.

Thanks,

Alex

I have SBC DSL at my business, and here in Kansas City SBC DSL runs on static IPs, not DHCP. How would the modem maker if know your ISP uses DHCP or static IPs? To find out, post the result of "ipconfig" (w/out the quotes, done from Start>Run) in Win2000 - that should tell you - and to find what your setup in Linux is, post the output of "ifconfig" (done in a terminal as root) so we can see what your settings are.

Basically, if SBC SDL in your area IS using DHCP, then go into Mandrake Control Center > Network & Internet and set it to "Find an IP Automatically" (or something like that) or if static IP, then enter your IP and gateway information.

I really have no experience with using USB for internet connections except enough to know it sucks. Been known to give problems in Windoze and Linux. 5-6 years ago, when I first got my home Road Runner cable connection as a beta tester for them, they insisted on hooking it up USB. WTF for??? Before the guy was in his truck, I plugged it into my NIC card and never used the USB setup. So I really can't help you with troubleshooting USB much. I wouldn't waste much time on it if I were you.

Hello ainsaur.

Just out of curiosity, what make of MainBoard do you have. A lot of modern mainboards now include on board LAN so if yours does also then it would have the appropriate socket usually near the USB sockets. To activate the on board LAN you would need to go into the BIOS and look for the LAN reference and then set it to active. If you are lucky enough to have this on your main board you could possibly get a refund for you ethernet card.

Cheers. John.