Suggestions/Info on DVD Writers

Guest BoyEnjinir

Guest BoyEnjinir

I am considering purchasing a DVD+R/RW drive. I'd like to get some feedback on:

1) Info pertaining to the benefits/drawbacks/differences between linux support of DVD+R and DVD-R (and if relevent, fundamental differences between them that does not pertain to Linux)

2) If there are specific DVD+R drives (or DVD-R drives, if they are better. But everything I've read to date indicates that there is better support for DVD+R in linux. Although, everything also points to DVD-R being more compatible w/ DVD players) that I should or should not consider.

3) Whether or not you can create movie DVD's yet in Linux. The last I checked Linux was only able to create data DVD's. Has this changed? If so, what applications support DVD movie creation? I'd like to be able to burn my home movies to DVD. And I'd like to do it in Linux.

4) OKAY, I originally posted this on the old board. Since that time, I have found a couple of interesting programs: DVDRIP @ http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/index.cipp AND acidrip @ http://acidrip.thirtythreeandathird.net. Anyone have any info on how well these work? Or leads on other DVD video writing software?

Thanks in advance

-bE

I will give you a general opinion on DVD recorders rather than addressing your itemized list. For me the cost and incompatibility between recording methods has kept me from seriously considering any of them at this stage of their development. I got burned going with beta for my first VCR which was a portable with separate camera. Aside from the tapes, nothing else was compatible with other makes either. (I am keeping them as historical artifacts.)

The only DVD that hs tweaked my interest has been the Sony version that does all of the current methods but its cost here in Canada makes it more expensive than replacing the rest of my system with largest and fastest on the market. With DVD peripherals still in the somewhat experimental stage and with the usual lag of Linux-supported hardware, I am reluctant to commit until we can see a clear winner in the format race. You might get more useful information from one of the 19 newsgroups in the alt and rec hierarchies that would speak more specifically to your questions, including the binary group for ripped DVDs .

Counterspy

I'm not certain, but I beleive you can get DVDrip from Penguin Liberation Front:

http://plf.zarb.org/

If your not familiar with the above, they package a lot of stuff specifically for the Mandrake distro which Mandrake can't do for legal reasons. They also have urpmi available which can help a lot with dependencies.