mounting ntfs - SOLVED

mdemers883

ok, I can't seem to get my 2nd hdd (hdb1) which is ntfs mounted on my desktop. I keep all my music files on that drive. Here is my current /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home reiserfs notail 1 2
none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount      fs=udf:iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,nosuid,ro,umask=0,nodev,exec 0 0
none    /mnt/cdrom2     supermount      fs=udf:iso9660,dev=/dev/hdd,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,nosuid,ro,umask=0,nodev,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I have supermount enabled. But, I also tried manually mounting the drive:

[root@localhost mark]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows
mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /mnt/windows busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1 is already mounted on /mnt/windows
[root@localhost mark]#

I'm not sure if my fstab is misconfigured or what I"m doing wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

If you open konqueror and navigate to /mnt/windows, you should see the contents of hdb1. Try it and report back your results. If you want an icon on your desktop to directly access hdb1 that's easy to do in kde. Right click on your desktop and go to Create New>Device>Hard Disc Device which will bring up a config window. Put a name you like in the field in the General tab and tick the "Device" tab. In the field there put /dev/hdb1 or you can tick on the arrow next to the field and choose /dev/hdb1 from the drop down menu. Tick "OK" and the icon wil be on your desktop. Clicking on the icon will open konqueror at /mnt/windows and display the contents of hdb1.

oops, sorry pmpatrick, I should've mentioned that I"m using gnome (the version that comes with mandy 10 ) I've tried right clickiing on the desktop but to no avail for adding it. I can navigate to /mnt/windows via epifany. Any ideas on how to get it mounted on my desktop in gnome?

Try this. Open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# ln -s /mnt/windows windows

That will create a directory in your home directory called windows which is a link to /mnt/windows. Double click on your desktop home icon and you should see it there in your home directory and clicking on "windows" should reveal the contents of hdb1. If it does, just drag the windows directory to your desktop and I believe the link should still work.