Boot loader help

Guest gadabout

Guest gadabout

Anyway, here's my prob:

I have installed Mandrake 10.1 which I downloaded from their site. The installation is on a 30GB HD, partitioned into 2 15GB drives. The installation is on the second partition. I have a total of 4 HD's, 80, 30, 40, 60, system sees them in that order. Now, the installer loads fine and everything is detected just great, but when it come time to load a boot loader everything goes to crap. I receive this message "mkinitrd failed -v-f /boot/inird-img --ifneeded 2.6.8.1-10mdk". Now I thought that it might be that my HD's are on a ITE8212 RAID controller, but acting as a normal ATA interface. So, I tried to make a bootable floppy but again the same thing happens. I have tried to run the rescue utility off the boot CD but it comes up with a ton of errors. So thus it can't "fix" it. Any ideas on what I could possible do? Again, I don’t need to have a boot load on my HD, it would be just perfectly fine on a floppy.

I’ve searched many hours on trying to get anything working, but I just confused myself more. I thought this site/forum would be my best choice to post something as such.

Any help would be much appreciated.

hi gadabout. :)

it looks as if your lilo.conf file got somehow screwed. in case you have a linux-live-cd, you can edit the lilo.conf file. as far as i can see from the info you give here, lilo is unable to load the mkinitrd-file and maybe the vmlinuz which seem to have another name on your system as given in the lilo.conf file. check the system in the /boot folder and look exactly, which name the mkinitrd and vmlinuz file actually have and change the lilo.conf accordingly.

good luck :)

Hello,

Easyly, you can't boot on an ITE8212 nowadays. You have to install mandrake on an classic ide port, make sure you run a kernel > 2.6.4 and make un new initrd. Therefor you have to adjust your fstab and lilo, and plug your disk on the ITe8212 controller. This done, it would be able to boot. But i think any MandrakeMove, Knoppix or something like that could no more access to your disk if necessary.

Good luck with this ugly controller.

Bmail.