Compaq Armada m700 [continuation]

jeremy1701

aRTee

I thought I'd start a new thread dealing specifically with the ACPI issues, the other one seemed to focus on the ATI card (which I still don't have 3D)

I've installed MDK 10.1. APM is not that great, same as any other distro. However, ACPI is really taking one for the team. Sleep doesn't work at all, but suspend does. However, there's no way to get it out of suspend. Pressing the blue button restarts the system. There's got to be a way around that, do you know where the scripts are that control what that button does (or the ACPI scrtips at all? I can only find the APM scripts). Hibernate works every time for me. I've tested it like 12 times.

Jeremy

Sorry, no clue, I'd like to know too.

My internet failed for a few days, and I'm currently too busy with my 10.1CE review, but I'll probably mention this, and who knows, maybe get an answer?

If I find out more, I'll post here.

BTW tried 10.1CE and mach64 3d - no go. There are no drivers, not for tvout and not for 3d on mach64 in x.org.... read the readme, saw it in there (I tried to have 3d again).

Hey aRTee,

Thought I'd let you know where I'm at. I, too tried 10.1CE and it looks very promising. For one, ACPI hibernate works everytime. No sleep though. Suspend works, but same problem, not way to get it out of suspend. I believe this is handled through a missing module of ACPI.

I've also discovered what I think is a significant break through for the LCD/CRT issue. This, too, is handled by ACPI. That's why it works in bios and init 3, but not init 5. There has to be a module that takes the fnc+f4 event and passes it to the ACPI deamon, but I don't believe there is one for ATI Mobilty. I discovered this is how other video cards handle the switch. My intention is talk to the gatos folks for more details.

My other thought is the ACPI=force option. It seems to be the only way to have certain features of APM working, but I'm (currently) thinking ACPI=on will enable the unsuspend button and fnc+f4 monitor switching. Care to try it?

To get the "bells and whistles" of the card working, you have to d/l, compile and install the CVS version of X.org (6.8.1). There are a few files you have to modify first, and a little libGL manual swictching to do, but it works. I now have 3D! I plan on writting a small tutorial, I'll link to it here.

I won't get to any of this until early next week, but we're getting it. One small thing at a time :P

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the update on your progress.

I have little time, but I remain interested.

In case of progress I'll definitely report it here.

I don't care so much about the suspend to ram, nor about the 3d acceleration, but tv-out and external monitor 'on demand' would be sweet...