windoze system files for games/progs

reb2

i am a noob and not very up on how this sort of thing works so please forgive my ignorance/stupidity if that is the case.

but by all means have a good :lol2: @ my expense

most m$windows games/progs require files which reside in the windows system folder (i think).

so i was wondering, if i had say "wine" installed in my linux partition and directed wine to look for said files in my windoze partition would this help wine to run a game or other windoze based prog?

could the same be done with the directx files too?

if it worked, you could just install windoze onto an old harddrive and drag the system folder across to the linux drive and remove the windoze drive?.

please feel free to move this as i was not sure where to post it.

:unsure:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Sorry, it's not so simple.

Wine already has a "fake" windows direcory and registry for example, but most program in windows rely on parts of the OS doing the work for them (such as directX) so it's not enough to "locate" the file, but you also need to "run" it.

So wine knows how to fake some windows functions and not others. This is what mostly determines what can run under Wine and what doesn't.

Cedega for example is similar to wine but fakes more functions than wine, especially some related to games.

On the other hand vmware (and I think win4lin) fake hardware, so that you can actually instll a copy of windows into that "fake" (emulated) computer, and windows doesn't know the difference.

ah well i learned something :thumbs:

thanks for that

on the one hand its great to learn, and on the other hand its terrible not knowing!!!

It makes me feel stupid (which is odd because i don't even like him) :lol2::wall:

I shall have to put myself out a bit more to learn this stuff.

thanks again

reb2

well, it does sometimes help wine to use native versions of files. If you look at your wine config file there's a bunch of entries for said files, with a preference order - either "native,builtin" or "builtin,native". Sometimes tweaking this, assuming you have the "native" (original Windows) files, can help run some apps.