Shutdown hangs when network connected...

Guest observer24

Guest observer24

Hello,

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition on a vprMatrix 220A5 laptop. I have a problem shutting down. Everytime I shut down the computer, the computer hangs shortly before it is completed shutting down the system. However, if I boot the system with the network disconnected, it shuts down cleanly and quickly. I have had this problem with any distro I've used with the 2.6.x kernel.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is, and how I can fix it!

Thank you!

Alex

Guest observer24

Following up on the problem, I have determined that the problem isn't with shutting down, per se, but when I try to disable the network. For instance, when I give the command:

ifconfig eth2 down

(eth2 is my network adapter)

The system hangs. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

You are correct when you say that the problem is not with shutting down. I use Madrake 10.1 and have a problem with shutdown but it lies with my Cisco vpn client. Even with eth2 connected my system shuts down very quickly and cleanly. But, if I connect the vpn client, even if I type a disconnect command, the system will hang a hair before completing shutdown so I don't think the problem is with the network service itself, but with your client (whichever you're using).

The community edition did have a lot of problems with it, most people tend to go for the Official one, so it may be that your issue could be resolved by using this instead.

That aside, another thing could be that Plug and Play is set to "OS" in the BIOS, which can cause problems not only with hardware detection, but the operational side of it too.

You mention you use a 2.6.x kernel? But what one? On my 10.1 Official, I'm using 2.6.8.1.24, but by default it's 2.6.8.1-12. Upgrading the kernel could also assist in resolving your problem.

Just a couple of things that might be why you're experiencing problems. These are a few things I would check against, and see if it resolves it, and then go from there.

Hi All

I neglected last time to say that I have my Mandrake 10.01 running on a Dell Latitude C810 in a dual boot system with Win XP.

I have solved my shutdown problem. Hope someone can use the info to their benefit. On bootup, the system runs the command :

/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start

All I did was change the 'start' in the command line to 'stop' in a terminal session, then shut down using the logout screen in KDE 3.2. The system went down like a ton of bricks. SWEET. All I need do now is make the command part of the shutdown routine or create a link from the command to the desktop.

Once again, it was the running Cisco vpn client that caused my system to hang, not the eth2 network service.

Edited by jimm