login screen not sure which to pick

leebrendalee

ummm... what is exactly your problem? aren't you able to log in? or are you just asking what to do at the login?

if the last is the case: enter user name, then user password and thats it. if you want to change from kde to e.g. gnome, you have to select the desktop environment first.

in case you borked all up, log in as root (if you can), set another login manager as default while fixiing the other ones files.

but please give us more details. :)

well, I have to go to work shortly..so no more time to play...but I started over AGAIN...I thought I better put xp on ..and than do the install again tonight for linux....so far it's been almost a week since I started trying to get linux on. Now I'm here for help.. ;-)

I could not log in because i don't recall needing a password..so I figured I did it wrong...again..so starting over? I'll just try again..unfortunately, by the time I need help everyone else is in bed because of my time zone and I loose patience and try and fix it myself..LOL not sure if this is good or bad.....is there a place where someone has written down really good newbie instructions...something that says..do this and do that and just follow the directions for installing v10..new laptop....toshiba..THANKS..

Even if your user doesn't have a password, you might still be prompted for one. Just hit enter.

I don't advise you log in as root.

Make note during install what your username is. I recommend you make it all lowercase, and I DO recommend you put a password. This is separate from the root user, which also should have a separate password.

This time when you're installing, I recommend you fix the broken part by installing Gnome instead of KDE. ;) Well, you can use what you want, but Gnome rules.

Edited by DOlson