Sounder Server KDE 3.2 Mandrake 10

Guest Fizx

Good day all

I had Mandrake 9.2 and upgraded it to Mandrake 10.The KDE 3.1 sound server worked perfectly! and now that I have upgraded it to Mandrake 10, I keep getting this error that says that the sound server has crashed.

It says that it is a SIGABRT in artsd.

I can use ALSA sound perfectly like in XMMS and in games (OpenAL, SDL), I have tried everything with arts including disabling it but this error still comes up, just tying this message has brought up 24 windows!

Well, basically everything works expect that I am getting bombarded with the KDE crash window. I SUSPECT that it is todo with the sounds that are played when you open the window / close it / minimise etc. Does anyone know where I can disable these sounds?

Guest sleeper_service

I'm also having problems with the sound server (Mandrake 10.0 Official) and am getting similar crashes and error messages to Fizx - i.e. SIGABRT in artsd.

Sounds now seem to be off altogether for many things. I can't get system sounds working. I installed GCompris last night for my daughter, but the sound doesn't work. Sound works for some applications - no problem with the CD player and some games (Maelstrom) are fine.

I'm still very new to Linux. Any tips on where to start looking? Can anybody help me to supply more information that might make a proper diagnosis possible?

Cheers.

Edited by sleeper_service

what kind of sound server have you selected? in kcontrol-center (sound→sound server→hardware-tab), have you set your sound architecture to auto-select? this is known to cause trouble with some soundcards. try one of the specific sound servers (ALSA, OSS,...). if neither of these gets the problem sorted out, please post all information, harddrake does give on your soundcard.

I have disabled ARTS all together now. The good thing is that I can still use XMMS and openAL games!! :beer: I have also relised that you have to reboot the machine between switching the sound server on and off!

I was using ALSA, I tried switching between them but that error still occured! The funny thing is that I do not have "system notifications" under the KDE control center!

My Linux system is a mess!!

What is "urpmi"?

:thanks: Artic!! :thanks:

PS. The people on this forum are much nicer than people on other forums, thanks for all the help!

What is "urpmi"?

urpmi is mandrakes magical superduperwabbawabbaheydiho-command. :) it allows you to install software in a hurry via the console. as root, e.g. type "urpmi gimp2" and mdk will install gimp2 with all dependencies on your box. type "urpmi --auto-select" and you system will get updated automatically with the software of one of the ftp-mirrors you can set up with "easyurpmi" (a web site for easy system-ftp-resources-administration).

now... back to your problem... open a console, log in as root (as described earlier) and type "harddrake". a window with all hardware information should show up. there must be your soundcard in there. please post all soundcard-data you can grab your hands on. :)

PS. The people on this forum are much nicer than people on other forums, thanks for all the help!
:thanks: :woops: Edited by arctic

Arts is the soundserver (or you may call it the sound deamon or software mixer)

Alsa is the sound architecture (kernel stuff and drivers (called modules in Linux)).

You do not have to reboot when you close down arts (but maybe closing down KDE helps if it's a bug or something). Arts is just another application and has nothing to do with the kernel. So shutting down/rebooting your PC will not help. (Closing down X/KDE = ctr-alt-backspace.)

Complete path for system notification = kde control center --> sound & multimedia --> system notification

Hope this clarifies things a bit :D

:huh: That error isnt occuring any more!! I have enabled ARTS and now it works perfectly! :huh:

I think it was the upgrade from Mandrake 9.2. The Mandrake 10 install process didnt get rid of all the old KDE pakages, I am sure of this because my KMail crashed as soon as I opened it, so I got rid of the old pakage and the new one and reinstalled it! It then worked. I also set about removing all the other old KDE pakages, that must of fixed my problem!

The gods must be crazy!

Arts is the soundserver (or you may call it the sound deamon or software mixer)

Alsa is the sound architecture (kernel stuff and drivers (called modules in Linux)).

You do not have to reboot when you close down arts (but maybe closing down KDE helps if it's a bug or something). Arts is just another application and has nothing to do with the kernel. So shutting down/rebooting your PC will not help.  (Closing down X/KDE = ctr-alt-backspace.)

Complete path for system notification = kde control center --> sound & multimedia --> system notification

Hope this clarifies things a bit :D

This is what I am looking at!

post-7449-1096364525_thumb.jpg

steps to fix gnome and kde soundservers:

# killall esd

# killall artsd

# for i in `slocate /bin/esd`; do rm -f $i; done

# for i in `slocate /bin/artsd`; do rm -f $i; done

# jump_up_and_down_on_esd_until_it_is_killed_very_dead_indeed

# jump_up_and_down_on_artsd_until_it_is_killed_very_dead_indeed

those last two lines are just for safety...:P

(please don't actually try any of the above. well, except the first two lines. they work great. the next two i just made up and will probably break stuff.)

if you don't need software mixing, get rid of esd and artsd, and be happy. If you need software mixing, get rid of esd and artsd, set up ALSA to use dmix, and be happy. All I've ever had from esd and artsd is grief, grief, grief...

• 1 month later...
Guest pragmatist

I am having the same problems with artsd. I'm getting a KDE crash window on startup and I cannot play sounds with Havok or hear system notifyications. Games seem to work fine.

How do I set up ALSA to use dmix? All I seem to be getting with artsd is grief!

You need an .asoundrc in $HOME

pcm.!default { 
  type plug 
  slave.pcm "dmixer" 
} 

pcm.default { 
  type plug 
  slave.pcm "dmixer" 
} 
pcm.dmixer  { 
  type dmix 
  ipc_key 1024 
  slave { 
     pcm "hw:0,0" 
     period_time 0 
     period_size 1024 
     buffer_size 4096 
     rate 44100 
  } 
  bindings { 
     0 0 
     1 1 
 } 
} 
pcm.dsp0 { 
  type plug 
  slave.pcm "dmixer" 
} 

ctl.dmixer { 
  type hw 
  card 0 
}

Copy and paste this in your favorite editor and save as .asoundrc (don't forget the .)

(Disclaimer: this works for me and should work for you :) )