I'm back

null

Haven't been around for a while. This place sure is getting big - look at all the members - was just hitting 5,000 when I disappeared for awhile. I'm still farting around on FC2, which I like for the most part. However, I'm thinking about coming back to mandrake - version 10.1 official whenever its ready. I still have a win2k box, but I have pretty much cleaned if off and moved everything to my /home on my FC2 machine. Don't use winblows much anymore at all.

A few disappointments with FC2 (or maybe its me...) are that printing features I just can't get available. I have a HP 5550 and it prints just fine, but under windoze, I have alot of choices such as Draft Quality, Everday Quality, etc. Also I can print 2-sided - flip the pages around and stick them back in the tray. I can't get any choices under linux. As I said, maybe its me, or maybe its unecessarily complicated with my distro.

Another disappointment is that FC2 (released in 2004) has mysql 3.23 (way old). Version 4 has been out for 2 years or so hasn't it?

I just got the email from mandrakesoft regarding the 10.1 community release and they say that it has mysql 4, and that printing features are super easy to setup (I'll believe that when it see it).

The times I've installed different distros, I've always done a clean install - without backing up any data first (I've never had anything important on my linux machines). However, this time I have all my important stuff on my FC2 box - Excel spreadsheets & OOo stuff, tons of mp3s, financial stuff (MoneyDance), and other stuff. Soooooo.... this time, when I install another distro on top of FC2 - I will be worried about keeping my important stuff unharmed... Seems I never can get the partitions right when I install a distro. I usually let it do its "default" choice, and its puts /home under root, instead of separate - like most of you prefer.

Anyway, glad to be back.