Supermount and 2.6.8.1 kernel

Guest ccbunney

Guest ccbunney

Hi,

I am running 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7 and recently downloaded 2.6.8.1 from kernel.org as it has fix that allows me to access my digital camera as a mass USB device (2.6.3-7 can't). I have compiled the kernel successfully, but I get an error when booting up:

mount: fs type supermount not supported by kernel

I don't know if it is related to the missing supermount, but KDE crashes alot too when I run it inder 2.6.8.1.

After reading some forums, it seems apparent that supermount is a Mandrake applied kernel patch.

Where can I obtain this patch?

Or can I obtain a 2.6.8.1 Mandrake kernel from somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated!!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

When mdk10.1-CE hits the mirrors, you can download the mandrake 2.6.8.1 kernel rpm and install it in mdk10. Mdk10.1 is using the 2.6.8.1 kernel and has the supermount patch as well as a patch to correct the cd burning problem with this kernel. Should be available for public download soon if your not a club member.

Guest ccbunney

Thanks for the help guys.

Excuse the ignorance, but I am fairly new to Linux.

When you say 'Vanilla Kernel' am I to assume this is the one available from 'kernel.org'?

aRTree -

Do not upgrade from 10.0 something to 10.1, due to the switch from devfs to udev this gives problems, lots of small possibly related issues come up...

If I downloaded the 2.6.8.1-mdk kernel and the udev rpm from the aforementioned ftp site, would that get around that problem - or do you think that is a bad idea?

Cheers.