Xorg 6.8 on Mdk 10 OE

neutron

Hi guys!

I just tried to install kde 3.3 with xorg 6.8 (thac's urpmi repository) on a fresh installed mandrake 10 box (ofcourse I deselected xfree86 and kde).

I had really bad luck with his kde 3.3 rpms (libkdecore4 couldn't instal b/c of a libjasper.so file or something like that.

But xorg 6.8 DID install (I didn't understand some things like 'moving /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver to /etc/X11/xserver .... linking to /etc/X11/xserver). Then I decided to install kde 3.2. Everything went smooth, but now when I boot I get the usual bootsplash and then ..... the prompt :angry:

When I do a mdkkdm or xdm nothing happens and a ' startx' has the following output:

created .Xauthority file .

Execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

xinit: server error

When I shutdown I see the following messages:

errno 3: network unreachable, unable to connect to xserver

I've read several post of users who managed to configure xorg 6.8 correctly so I was wondering if those user can help me. Thnx in advance.

Thnx for your suggestions! Loading the correct settings through XFdrake didn't work for me ("failed to setup write-combining range").

I've renamed XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf and seems to make a difference, b/c 'startx' now gives another output:

"failed to setup write-combining range"

"no core keyboard found"

Changing "driver" "keyboard" to "kbd" gives: "no driver kbd exist" :o

Yeah! Typing this from within kde WITH xorg 6.8 :thumbs:

The problem was that my xorg.conf was just empty.... By launching 'xorgconfig' I managed to get a working xorg.conf file.

I've also several minor problems, I don't know for sure if this is the appropiate place to mention them (if not tell me plz). Biggest problem is:

How can I keep my bookmarks.html from firefox in sync with the bookmarks.html on my windows partition? Symlinking them isn't going to work b/c bookmarks.html won't get updated. :o

in your xorg check your keyboard driver.

It was:

Driver "Keyboard"

now

Driver "kbd"

I know, but renaming xf86Config to xorg.conf and changing "keyboard" to "kbd" didn't work. That's why I created a new xorg.conf file with xorgconfig. Thnx anyway :D

Btw, my scroll wheel doesn't work, mouse driver is "auto". Got to work on that.