kmc77

I'm running proftpd

[kevin@kevins kevin]$ rpm -qa | grep ftp
gftp-2.0.16-4mdk
lftp-2.6.11-2mdk
gproftpd-8.1.5-3mdk
proftpd-1.2.9-3.1.100mdk
ftp-client-krb5-1.3-6.2.100mdk

Everything is running fine, except for my download/upload speed. I'm running Mdk 10.0 OE using a DSL connection with a DL speed of +500 kbps and a UL speed of +160 kbps. I can upload to the server at full speed (dl speed) but downloading from server is capped at like 10 kbps (ul speed).

I have verified from ISP that there is no UL cap on their end, and have completely killed firewall for test, with no change. Googled for similar prob, but nothing solid found. I'm running from GUI so I don't know if there are other settings that I'm not seeing.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're protocol savvy, you could use Ethereal to sniff the packets and see what may be causing the delay. Alternatively, you could try a traceroute to see if any hop along the way is incurring delay.

It's unclear to me whether Mandrake is the FTP client or server. If it's the server, what are you using as a client? If client, what's on the server? I've seen strange FTP performance with Windows. Similarly, some firewalls have unusual behavior when hendling FTP.

Also, on the Internet, the router hop-path taken in one direction is almost never the same as the return path because ISP's usually route traffic destined for another ISP's network is sent to the nearest peering point (which can differ on each end).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with proftp, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what's going on with Ethereal.

Edited by tmeehan

I'm not really knowledgeable as far as protocolls go. I'm doing a packet capture right now, but am unfamiliar with what I need to be looking for, so Ethereal probably isn't going to help me much. I noticed that uploade speed is pretty good when using file transfer thru AMSN. I assume that's using FTP protocoll, so I wonder what it could be

Strike that last comment about messenger file transfer - it's stuck at 10kbps upload speed also. I'm starting to think that my ISP tech. was full of crap. Not sure why I would be capped at 10 kbps up, but that seems to be the direction everything pointing.

If anyone has had a simmilar experience with their FTP server or with their ISP, I would appreciate hearing about it.