ATI Mobility radeon 9000 IGP

Youssou75

Hi guys,

I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 (free downloaded version) without success on my Compaq presario notebook (R3055CA) with ATI Mobility radeon 9000 IGP. None of the video drivers worked with my ATI card. I didn't try to start X since none of the tests worked.

Do you have any suggestions guys?

Thanks

PS: I am very new to Linux.

Hi and welcome to the board.

I have MDK 9.2 installed on a laptop with ATI Mobility radeon 9000.

I had problems with testing the configuration. The advice I had from Mandrakesoft support team was that tests may fail, that's normal :jester: . I don't think they have done much since to fix XFdrake. So, run XFdrake, choose whatever configuration it detects, skip the test and *do not* accept the offer to setup graphic boot. After XFdrake finished, go ahead and start X. Let us know how it's going.

Most likely, you will end up with using the radeon driver, which means 3D acceleration won't work. The next step will be to download the proprietary ATI driver and give it a go. I use the Mandrake version of the ATI driver whch came with my PowerPack. Many people reported success with ATI's native driver as well.

Thanks a lot coverup. Actually, I tried to install the ATI proprietary drivers and I think I scrapped the Xconfig file. I reinstalled Linux and I left the default choice of Mandrake as you suggested. Mandrake works nicely but I don't know if 3D acceleration works. Anyway, I should order my PowerPack 10.0 from MandrakeSoft so I get their latest drivers for my ATI. Otherwise I will ask somebody that knows Linux to help me with installing ATI drivers.

Thanks again coverup. I am sure I will enjoy Linux and the usergroup.

:joker::joker::joker::jester::jester::joker::thanks:

While you are awaiting for your powerpack to arrive, why don't you give it another go and have some fun :D ?

(1) Make a backup copy of /etc/XF86Config-4. Now if anything goes wrong, you can always revert to the orig configuration.

(2) Testing 3D is simple - just start the Tuxracer game. If it's damn slow, you don't have 3D. A geek approach is to check the output of glxinfo command. If you have the string saying "direct rendering: Yes", you've got 3D, if not, well...

(3) Unlike Windows, in most(!) cases, if things go wrong, you don't need to reinstall Linux, but rather remove/install a package. In your case, you'll be playing with XFree86, MESA drivers (which you should uninstall/owerwrite if you're going to use ATI), and ATI.

(4) In case you decide to give it another go, post the problem here. This forum is particularly good in helping people who are new to Linux (I don't like the word newbies, sounds too patronising).