User Restrictions

fatk

I'm not sure if this has already been address but I wasn't able to find it, anyway...

I have a couple of people who want to use my server via SSH. However I have some directories on my comptuer that I do not want them having access too, in fact I would like it if they didn't even know they were there. My question is how would I go about doing that? If that isn't clear enough say when I look at the root directory I see the following:

/home

/fileserver

I would like these users only to see

/home

Thank you in advanced for your replies.

Hiding the content of a directory is easy, but not hiding part of it.

So maybe a chrooted environment with symbolic links? I don't know the chroot at all so I'm not sure.

Else you could make your own kernel with the GoboHide patch from the GoboLinux project (I also never tried, though I intend to do).

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Hiding the content of a directory is easy, but not hiding part of it.

So maybe a chrooted environment with symbolic links? I don't know the chroot at all so I'm not sure.

Else you could make your own kernel with the GoboHide patch from the GoboLinux project (I also never tried, though I intend to do).

Yves.

I guess I am not understanding what you are saying. Really all I want to do is limit the access to the system a user has, for example just their home directory. I would just chmod all the files so he couldn't do anything with them, but then my other computers couldn't use them....unless

I guess is there a way to have Samba assign my computers in my home network a group name..so for example if I give my windows machine a static ip of 192.168.1.100, could I make Samba reconize that IP address and then assign that machine to a certain group? So that way I could just chmod everything so a the telnet users can't access them.