i686-up-4GB

Okay, so how does this work???

I have a whole 1GB of ram, and would like to use it.

Mandrake 10 installs i686-up-4GB version for me, but I can not seem to find the kernel-source so that I can match my kernel specs. This only seems to be an issue with nVidia at this time, but it would be nice to know how to use the full 1GB of ram in my system. It is interesting that the nVidia card will NOT start under the i686-up-4GB version of Mandrake 10. Picky little bugger...

Just to really cloud the waters, I will be getting an AMD 64 system sometime this week, and will be moving the nVidia video card (hey, practice helps!). Of course the AMD 64 version of Mandrake will be showing up shortly. I wonder if it has a similar version install - STD 800M kernel, and a 4GB kernel...

Current Goal:

have uname and rpm -qa |grep kernel commands match. If this means that I will get to learn to compile, then so be it.

So if any of you Mandrake Gurus knows how to get this done, I would sure appreciate knowing how to do it!

TIA!

The kernel-source for the i686-up-4GB version will be the same as the normal kernel source. For example:

kernel: 2.6.3-16mdk

source: kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk

kernel: kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3-16mdk

source: kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk

The different version is simply for the different options that are installed by default in the new kernel.

Thanks LiquidZoo,

nVidia sure doesn't like it that way... I had it just as you described, and nVidia 3D drivers would not install.... and they would not run when selecting the i686-up-4GB.

Well, I will give it a shot with AMD 64 version here in the next few days...

Thanks again for the heads up!

You have to make sure that the kernel-source and the kernel version match exactly. nVidia is picky, but it will install using this kernel. Until recently, I used this version of the kernel exclusively.

Make sure the following output matches (obviously substituting for the correct kernel version):

[Coruscant//liquidzoo]$ uname -r
2.6.8.1-8mdk
[Coruscant//liquidzoo]$ ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 19 Sep  8 15:33 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.8.1-8mdk//
[Coruscant//liquidzoo]$

Seems to me that is the "kernel link" or something like that... I did NOT check that at all.

Thanks for adding to my skill. I appreciate it! and count on it being put to good use (grin)

Hmmm... just checked it out and get a "no such directory" message back on the ls -l command. Checked it out, only thing in /usr/src/ is RPM!

The plot thickens...

rpm -qa | grep kernel says 2 vers -

i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk and

2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk

rpm -qa | grep kernel-source

NO REPLY (smells like a CLUE!)

Practiced an install the other day. Probably need to indicate a source... think I have that written down here somewhere... If not, I will search and see what turns up. (when in doubt, search FIRST, then ask questions! Learned that a while back)

Thanks for the guidance! I believe this is an important clue that will make a difference soon!

I appreciate your time! I will post back how it goes in a couple of days.

L8ter!

Upgrade of hardware went fine. Still waiting on the AMD64 version of Mandrake ordered from LinuxCentral.com... Been a week.

Got the nVidia card running on i686-up-4Gb - Just performed the nVidia driver install right after the Mandrake 10 install, then updated via the Mandrake Update wizard in the system/configuration/packaging menu

So far so good... C'mon AMD64 version!

Thanks again for the help!